Dear Immigration Officer | Teen Ink

Dear Immigration Officer MAG

September 29, 2018
By kimjhb SILVER, Hemet, California
kimjhb SILVER, Hemet, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Letters. That’s all these may be to some people, letters written because of a so-called crime that was committed. It’s been three years since these were written, and our pleas still haven’t been heard. Why? 

 


Dear Immigration Officer,

 

I’m Kimberly and I am going into ninth grade. I’m an American born citizen. My mom is Maria, and Manuela is my grandmother. When I heard the news about my grandmother not getting her residency, I was really sad. I know she only did that because she wanted a better life for her son, because parents will do anything to make sure you have a better life than they did. If she doesn’t get her residency, our family will be crushed. She is the one that keeps us together. My sister, Angy, has special medical needs, and that has been very hard on my parents and me. If my mom is no longer able to have her here, she will most likely stop functioning, because she’s her mom, and she won’t be able to see her. It is very important that you let her have her residency as soon as possible.

 

Thank you for your time.

 

Sincerely,

 

Kimberly

 

•          •          •

 

Dear Immigration Officer,

 

My name is Miguel and I am the husband of Maria. I am a legal U.S. Citizen. My mother-in-law is Manuela and I have known her for almost 16 years. She is a very sweet and hardworking woman. She deeply cares for her family and for others. I know my wife would be devastated if Manuela’s residency was not approved. In all the years I have known Manuela, she has always been caring and loving toward her family and others. What she did was give her son a better life, and any parent would do the same. I would do anything in order to give my daughters the life they deserve. I also know firsthand the fear of not knowing if someone you love will stay with you. When my wife was getting her residency, I spent so much time worrying. I don’t want my wife to suffer from this. My family needs her to be okay, but she can’t do that if Manuela doesn’t receive her residency. This is why I am asking you to please grant Manuela residency – it will affect so many people if you do not.

 

Thank you,

 

Sincerely,

 

Miguel

 

•          •          •

 

Dear Immigration Officer,

 

My name is Maria, and I am the daughter of Manuela. I am a legal resident of the United States. My mom has been a huge support to me throughout my life. I have two daughters, one of which was born with special medical needs. I have gone in and out of the hospital with my daughter and have received unconditional love and support from my mom, Manuela. Without her, I would not be able to do what I need to do to take care of myself and my family.

 

Hearing that she was not able to obtain her residency because she wanted to give the opportunity of a better life to her son is heartbreaking to me. My mom is the kindest and most hard working woman anyone could ever meet. She needs to be with her family – especially with my dad, because he is sick and he needs her. My mother needs to be able to take care of her family, and cannot do that from another country if you deny her residency.

 

I am aware that what she did was illegal, but she did it so that we could have a better life here, away from the danger we face every day in Mexico. In Mexico, she will live in fear because of the violence and terror that happens every day. My family has experienced the terror firsthand, when they were threatened by cartels for their money. I do not wish for my mother to live in that kind of fear.

 

My mother has done nothing but care for her loved ones her whole life, and I know that without her, our family would never be the same. She should not be punished for giving my brother the opportunity to live a good life and help others. Now, because of my mother, Reynaldo will be able to pursue a career that helps so many others like us. What she did was illegal, but it was to help her family, and for that she should not be punished.

 

Thank you for your time.

 

Sincerely,

 

Maria


I’ve written and helped write so many of these letters over the past years. My grandmother was denied her residency while trying to do things the legal way; it’s not as easy as people make it out to be. My aunt waited five years, and my mom waited 10. This is the reality for millions.