Tube Sized Ankle | Teen Ink

Tube Sized Ankle

By Cpeters BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Cpeters BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

What seemed to be a perfect day out on the brackish water in Shell Beach took a rough turn in almost seconds. As my anticipation grew, I could hardly wait to jump into the water on this sunny Labor Day. I peered over the boat onto my friends patiently waiting for me to join them and I felt a sense of joy and excitement. We had driven hours to Shell Beach to spend all day doing what we thought was most fun--tubing. The others began to sense I was starting to get a little nervous to take the leap of faith into the brown water onto the tube. The sounds of family and friends chanting “C’mon, Camille, let’s go!” echoed as I stood on the very edge of the boat. I was filled with joy as the sun beat down on me. I slowly jumped from the edge of the boat intending to land directly onto the tube. However, my aim had decided otherwise. Instead of my full body landing directly onto the tube, half of my body hit the tube the other half landing in the water. This meant that my right foot endured all my body force, intending to catch my fall. Little did I know this moment would affect me greatly. Such an exciting moment had now turned into a disaster. I began to feel very sharp pains racing up my leg from my right foot. This feeling continued as I tried to hoist myself onto the tube. I was unsure of what to do in the moment. My adrenaline was pumping and thoughts continued to storm my head. What had I just done? My cross country season was starting in only a week and I had just twisted my ankle. Is it sprained or broken or am I just freaking out? I attempted to brush it off. After all, we had driven all this way for this perfect day of tubing. I insisted on continuing regardless of the injury I had just endured. After a rigourous half hour of tubing, I decided it was too much. The pain had only intensified. My right ankle then began to show signs of bruising and swelling. Reality hit me as my foot started to look like a small volleyball. I was disappointed in the fact that this incident had ruined a day I had been looking forward to for so long. The disappointment I was feeling could be read all over my face. The others on the boat sensed I was truly hurt. I was in such a happy place, feeling such an unhappy thing. All I could think in that moment was that I needed to ice my foot and pray it was nothing serious. Eventually after many physical therapy sessions, my foot returned to its normal size and it was able to heal correctly. It was a one-second moment that impacted the next four months of my life, but I did get some really funny boot pictures because of it!