A Sense of Love | Teen Ink

A Sense of Love

December 18, 2018
By chrismora BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
chrismora BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was snuggled up in bed one morning when in the middle of my REM cycle, a chubby, cute, but beast-like thing slams my door open. It sees the sleeping beauty that I am and without thought, it grabs the classic high-top Vans laying on the floor, and within seconds they are piercing through the air towards its target, my face. The sudden impact and the rotten cheese-like odor of the Vans wake me up. I look around, everything is distorted and cloudy. I ask myself,  “Is this heaven?” Then I get an answer from the door being slammed shut. I realized that sadly, I'm still alive, and the horrendous beast is gone so I shut my eyes closed and slowly dwindle to la-la land.

The door creaks, I ignore it and continue on my journey to la-la land. I hear little footsteps which make the hairs on my arms stand up and make my skin follicles contract. My heart beats faster and faster as time goes by. I breathe in and out, out and in. The footsteps get louder and louder and louder.

I feel something crawling up my bed while someone is pulling on my bed sheets. They start jumping on me and pulling my hair. I feel a stream of drool slowly caressing my nose on its path to my mouth. Once bored, one grabs my cheeks and expands them as if I were a chubby- faced baby. In the meantime, one little beast excitingly starts eating my elbow. Within seconds there's drool going down my forearm. They start compassionately take turns in high-fiving my face. Slap after slap, smack after smack. A surprisingly solid smack somehow wakes me back into reality.  

The greatest feeling in the world is something I cannot prove or show you, but I can say that the warm feeling of love comes from your family. As my siblings were trying to tell me, they love me. We all express it in different ways such as with hugs, kisses, slaps, and bites as in the case with my brothers. Other times, your parents yell at you or ground you for certain behaviors which is actually a way of expressing love since they are correcting your defects and making you a better person. My point is that those cute lil beasts of my brothers might be a pain in the butt but, they love me and sometimes they express it in ways we don't like. I love my little beasts and I can say that after two years and a half, I have learned how to sleep deeply while having a two-year-old and a one-year-old attack you.