Put a Stop to Procrastination This New Year | Teen Ink

Put a Stop to Procrastination This New Year

By LaniGirlisAwesome SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
LaniGirlisAwesome SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

I arrive home from school, and the first thing I do is put my 30-pound backpack, filled with about 20 assignments, on the floor of my room and tell myself, “ I’m going to make a snack and then relax for 10 minutes and then do my homework assignments.” Now, I would like to continue the story and say that every time I tell myself something like this, I always follow through, but that is never the case. In reality, I wind up going on my phone and staying on it until about 8 p.m., then do my homework until 1 or 2 in the morning. My resolution for the New Year is to stop procrastinating, which is a guilty pleasure to which I have been accustomed to for quite some time now.

In order to get rid of my nasty habit of procrastinating, I have come up with with a series of steps that will over a period of time, will little by little, will make me better. One thing that I will do that will help me, is do things when I’m told to do them. I always put things off if they are not supposed to be done that day, but I hope to improve that by doing things when I need to do them, rather than on my own time and agenda. Another thing, that will hopeful help me is not saying things like, “ I’ll do it later. I have time.” One of the things I do is tell myself that I  have all this time and hopefully this year it will change. Instead of telling myself, “I have time,” I can tell myself, “Just do it right now and get it done with.” Apart from this, I can also put my phone away so I don’t get distracted. I am one of those people who when they get home is on their phone and just loses track of time. If I am on my phone I will most likely not do any of what I’m supposed to do, or I will lose track of time and be on my phone for 2 hours. With me turning my phone off I am hoping it will push me to do more work and less play. The last thing that I hope to do is the 2 minute rule. Most of the time when we put things off, they are tasks that can be done in as little as 2 minutes. When I do something I hope to time it and see how long it really takes my to do something.

One of the improvements that I would see if I stopped procrastinating is that I will be have more work done. If I do things when they are needed to be done then, I will already have done it so much that it just feels natural to do so. Hopefully, this habit carry on to other aspects of my life which will help me get all of the stuff done when they need to get done. Another benefit from me stopping my procrastination, will be that I would be more organized if I do the things I need to get done when it is needed to be done, and I won’t have to rush or try and get it done quickly. I will be able to take my time and get it done efficiently. My ability to finish tasks on time will strengthen my relationship with my parents because they are not procrastinators, and they will be impressed if I  was able to change the ways for the better. Overall, my New Year’s resolution of procrastination will help me not only keeping myself organized and help with my time efficiency, but being a better person in general.

This is my New Year's Resolution for next year.