A Walk Through the Park | Teen Ink

A Walk Through the Park

March 5, 2019
By Mischalant BRONZE, Orcutt, California
Mischalant BRONZE, Orcutt, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Turning my head all around me, I beamed up at all of the beautiful sights surrounding me: the skyscraping trees, the fresh grass, and the dazzling flowers. I recently took a trip to New York where my family and I visited Central Park, and the sights and sounds that were apparent left me filled with wonder. We took a tour of the large park in a horse-drawn carriage, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The sights, sounds, and the way I felt admiring everything around me were all incredible.


As I sat in the horse-drawn carriage, observing the lofty trees of Central Park, I gazed upon the beautiful and luscious greenery of the area. Some of the trees appeared to be nearly as tall as a few of the buildings surrounding the large park. The deep brown horse led us down the dirt path, the purple carriage being drawn along for the ride. Occasionally we could glimpse people going for jogs, having picnics, walking their dogs, or even enjoying a tour as well in a carriage led by horse or bike. Towards the outskirts of the park, you could clearly see tons of buildings, but the closer to the center you got, the less of the city you would see. There were even lots of vintage looking lamp posts and benches along the many winding paths of the park.


Turning my gaze away from the trees and flowers, I started to pay attention to the hoofbeats of the horse and the wheels of the carriage as we made our way down the rocky path. Sometimes I was able to hear birds chirping or people chatting idly. There was even a fountain that we stopped at to get pictures and give the horse a small break. I listened to the rushing water and the people around me enjoying themselves. As the tour came to an end, we approached the busy streets filled with cars and taxis, the honking of the vehicles becoming louder and more noticeable.


Although the sights and sounds of the park were astounding, I was absolutely awestruck as I watched the green grass and vast trees pass by. I was so captivated by this huge park placed right in the middle of a noisy and bustling city, but you would never have been able to tell just from this peaceful scene. It made me feel so minuscule as I thought about the towering trees around me and the sky-high buildings surrounding the entire area, but here I was enjoying a nice day in this park filled with people. It wasn’t quite as crowded as I had originally expected; there was only the occasional person or family that you could see, having a nice time.


Nature is all around us, at the park, at the beach, and even in our backyards. I’ve never realized just how vast Central Park is; it’s truly astonishing. The entire park is surrounded by the busy borough of Manhattan, but this immense and hushed spot seems like it could be found anywhere. The contrast between the clamorous city and the still park was almost shocking. I had gotten used to the busy city over the past week we were there, but this park gave me a whole new perspective. As John Muir once said, “in every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.”