Being Cocky | Teen Ink

Being Cocky

By KuiperBell BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
KuiperBell BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

Fortnite I'm sure you have all heard of it. The biggest game of the year... Yeah, it is pretty big with over 70 million players. And I am good at it. Like very good at it, exceptional. One of the top 1800 players in the world, 70 million playing, no big deal. So yeah I am pretty good.

There's a tournament coming up. The prize pool is $100,000 and guess what, I am in it. Not a surprise though right? I am going to win the $50,000. It will be a piece of cake. Landing at my drop. Yes, no one landed here. I am going to be competing with the best players in the world but that does not matter. I will win, obviously. This will be so easy I am already stacked with loot. This is gonna be an easy win. Is that a fight I hear in the distance?

My conscience tells me not to push the fight and play for placement points because these are the best players in the world after all. But no, I AM THE BEST. UNSTOPPABLE. I push the fight. I got headshotted by an Assault Rifle. Down to 130 health now. I still got this, no biggie. A grenade lands right by me. I was so caught up in the moment I did not gather any materials to build anything. Just like that, I was dead. I lean back in my chair in defeat, trying to accept the fact that I just lost to something I was so confident about.

The next day I told myself that I would never let it happen again. I would never be careless again. I learned three things from that first tournament. First of all, I learned that being reckless is not the way to go. Play smart and analyze the situation you are in before you do anything stupid. If you do not then you will most likely get killed because you won't know what to expect. Second, do not be overconfident because you will put yourself into bad situations and bad placement. This basically sets you up for failure no matter what. If you are just confident you will be more cautious and still wary of your skill. Lastly, I learned to go into tough things or things you are doing for the first time with caution because you will not always know the outcome you will get. You also do not want to have super high expectations because it is only your first time so it is ok to fail.

Failure is ok, you just need to learn from it. When people get cocky they think they are invincible when in reality they really are not. that person gets defeated they are shocked and do not understand what happened. The only thing they can do is learn from it. That day I sat in my chair and started practicing twice as hard.