The Long Wait | Teen Ink

The Long Wait

By hunter33 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
hunter33 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Waiting long no deer in sight, climbing up your deer stand in the morning and climbing down at night this is called deer hunting. Patience my dad says, and you will see deer and so I wait and just as I thought there was no hope a nice size deer came. Deer hunting comes with a lot of struggles first the long sits, after that you just have to wait for the right moment, and when I do I can get a good reward. When all this hard work happens in the fall you have to do more like finding a tree, put out food, and cut down trees so this is how one of my deer hunts went.

November 1st, the sun rising beautiful colors in the sky pink, orange, yellow. Rooster is crowing and you think it's going to be a good day, with frost on the ground chilly at first but you know it's going to warm up so I put on my hunting clothes. Walking through the trees leaves crunching under my feet. I stop to see how beautiful our world is and all of its nature. Climbing up the stand clunking up every step I take. Hearing something walking I look to see a squirrel leaping one step at a time not seeing any deer I sleep, not comfortable at all but I could care less. Overlooking a CRP grass field with woods surrounding it seeing the grass sway back and forth  I leave hoping to have better luck the next day. I wake the next day as I repeat the same steps. Days getting longer and longer as I get tired and more tired. November 20th, finally seeing my first deer I wait to get a shot then a little fawn runs out into the grass field, now feeling guilty if I would have shot so I let the two leave happily.

Snow on the ground it's the first all year I know the deer will be where the food is so I move to a different spot. Seeing fresh tracks everywhere I look I knew it was going to be a good sit. I can see deer but they are too far away Then I hear something behind me. I saw it the buck I was waiting for I put my gun up and he spooked. My heart sank thinking I blew my whole season. Now there is no action no deer in the field as I look up I see antlers what a relief I raise my gun slow as my heart pounds faster and faster I look through my scope and the next thing I know I pull the trigger.

Birds scatter from the trees when they heard the bang as I see the deer run back into the woods. Excited, I was never shaking so hard before. I climb down my stand to go look for blood. Now on a trail looking what felt like hours but was only minutes. As I see antlers on the ground I jumped with joy. From that day on I learned that you have to be patient in order to get a reward like the one I did. Now when I go hunting I know it will take some time to put some meat in the freezer.