Learning from my past | Teen Ink

Learning from my past

By TaylorSantiago16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
TaylorSantiago16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Learning from my past

Once in our lives we do something we regret like stealing something, insulting or hurting someone but most of us learn from our mistakes and try to learn from them so we won't repeat them again. For me personally it was stealing money from my parents credit card to buy myself a video game seven years ago. I am currently sixteen years old is still choose to remember this memory so I won't repeat it 

This all started when i was playing minecraft. I was looking at the skins and found one I liked. Only problem was that I had to purchase a skin which cost two dollars in order to use it. Luckily for 9 year old me, my parents credit card was saved on to the console so all I had to do was press a single button which I did press. This is the first time I remember my greed getting the best of me but not the deed I got caught for. Stealing two dollars might not be that big of a deal but it did get me in the mindset of if i want something just take it.

For the crime i got caught doing was when I spent forty dollars on a game called super mario bros 2. Once again I got the money from the credit card but getting the ability to do so was more complicated. Unlike last time where the cards information was saved onto the console, the 3ds which i planned on spending the forty dollars on did not have the card saved. So i had to steal the card physically. Sadly I successfully stole the card and stole forty more dollars from my parents. Luckily my parents found out and confronted me about stealing money from their credit card.

I remember crying a lot when my parents found out but surprisingly the punishment itself I remember not being that bad. I believe I got scolded about stealing their money and getting grounded for a short time. Despite the punishment not being that cruel that meeting hurt me very mentalally and me feel very guilty about my actions. After that meeting I never pulled a stunt like that ever again. I make sure to get my parents permission before spending any money. I eventually did tell my parents about the first deed I commited and they were not mad about it. 

One thing I want to point out is that all of the things i pulled off in this story was entirely on my own will. Stealing money from parents was one hundred percent my own doing. This event of my life is one of my biggest regrets ever but i am glad it happened because it taught me to never steal again, showed me that other people have lives with their own set of problems to deal with and my actions have consequences.

s