Broken Leg | Teen Ink

Broken Leg

By nromes BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
nromes BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

“You are going to need surgery and some time to heal,'' remarked the doctor. The grade was holding a field trip, since it was finally the end of the nine weeks and almost school’s end. The bus stopped in Fort Wayne as our trip took us to the roller rink near Fazoli 's. We were ecstatic on the bus because most of us had never been roller skating before. I conversed with my friends saying, “Do you think we’ll fall?” as we arrived at the bustling roller rink.

We entered the roller rink which was dark as charcoal and air conditioned inside; however, as soon as we entered, the building began playing music boomed shaking my head, and the building lit up with colors of fauna, crystal, and mercury. The rink itself was spacious and in the shape of an oval. In the roller rink, we put on the red skates and walked out to the track and began to try to skate. Most of us had never been on roller skates before, so it went about as well as anyone could have suspected.

While some were skating , however, everyone else was clinging on, falling, or refusing to even go out onto the track. I sensed the golden wall and tried to cling to it but ended up falling repeatedly. Kasey, a friend of mine, tried to get me off the cold and golden wall, so I did and fell, but I did something different. When I tried to even move, I felt searing pain like needles come from my twisted leg. I looked down to see my leg had been bent in the shape of a v. Kasey came again and tried to raise me up while saying, “Come on. It couldn’t have been that bad.” When Kasey tried to pick me up, and I heard crackling of a fire come from my leg.  My foot faced the opposite direction of my body, with my leg bent backwards like a twig. It turned out it was horrible. I told her to let me sit, and to get Mr. Wheri over to me. When she set me down, I could feel my bones poking my skin; as I felt my legs I felt bumps, they shifted with each and every movement of my leg. Mr. Fritz and Mr. Wheri both stated, “I think you managed to break it.” It appeared they thought that my leg was broken, so they carried a stretcher and made me a splint. As I was combating the pain, I noticed that they had finally brought out the rollers to assist people with roller skating, and I Became angry, really angry.

They put me on a bus that was going at top speed to get me to the hospital. As I arrived, they took me in through the emergency entrance, and the staff placed me in a wheelchair and wheeled me to a waiting room. Soon my parents arrived, and as if on cue, the doctor came as well. He told me,  “Well you managed to mess it up pretty good.” He said I would need surgery and that I would be put under for the surgery. I recall my breathing slowed, the room slowly fell away became, fuzzy, and then blackness. I awoke post surgery and on a hospital bed wondering where I was and how long I had been out for . When I looked down at my left leg was wrapped in bandages with dried blood lining the side of my leg. I had a cast put on me, and the doctor said that I would need to wear it on for the summer months and suggested I kept as inactive as possible.

I thought to myself, ‘Of course this happened right before summer.’ I began the ride of shame home as my dad questioned, “How did you do that?” I answered, “Through pure determination.” I had managed to do the impossible; I had managed to shatter my leg at a roller rink. In the car ride home, I reflected on the day’s events, and I realized my friends were right. I would fall, but it would be more important than anyone could have imagined.