Natural pool | Teen Ink

Natural pool

November 13, 2019
By rmeunier BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
rmeunier BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I stood at the top of the stairs next to an old wooden sign with the words “ welcome to Aruba's natural pool”  carved into it. As I looked down the mountain covered in small steps I wondered how long it would take to make it all the way to the bottom. After thinking about it for a few seconds I started walking down the stairs. The steep and slanted stairs were made out of single pieces of wood nailed to the rocks surrounding them. They looked as if they were floating over the ground. As I stepped on the first one it sank a little bit closer to the ground making me worried it would break, but it didn’t. Without even realizing how far I had already walked I looked up to see only a few steps left. As I reached the last one, I turned around to see Jenna “ well that took a will but now we get to go swimming,” I said hopping of the last step.

“ I know,  I don’t think I’ve gone down that many stairs in my whole life,” She said twisting her dark hair around here fingers. walking over to the mountain of rock that laid in the middle of nowhere. As we got closer we could see that at the center of the rocks was a pool of water. 

“What are you guys waiting for,” Mom said walking over to the edge of the pool. As we all caught up everyone started taking off there shoes and running over to the edge, where a small line of people were waiting to climb in. After waiting in the line for a minute or so It was my turn. Taylor was in front of me almost to the last rock before the water by the time I was stepping onto the first rock she was jumping in. 

As I stepped on the first rock I felt it wobble beneath me. With every step I felt   the sharp stabbing of little rockers like i was walking on a dozen thumb tacks , but I kept on going from rock to rock until I reached the last rock. 

 “ Lets jump in together” I said turning around to see Jenna stepping onto the rock I was on.

“ ok” Jenna said taking a step closer to the edge of the rock.

“ Ready 3,2,1 go,” I said jumping into the air leaving the sharp rocks behind. As I flew through the air I felt like I was flying, until I hit the water. As i came up from underwater I realized the water was warm not like i was expecting it to be . Once all of us where in the water we swam to the far side witch was less crowded.

“ What do you want to do?”  Taylor questioned

“ Do you want to jump off that rock?” Jenna said pointing to a long flat rock with waves crashing over it. 


“Sure,” I said swimming over to it. As we reached the rock we pulled ourselves up to the top. The waves crashing over the rock and onto our faces made it much more difficult than it should have been. Once we were all at the top of the rock, we got ready to jump. 

“3,2,1” we all yelled jumping into the air and falling back down crashing into the water.
After being there for almost an hour Mom yelled over “ you guys ready to leave?”

“ yeah,” we all said paddling over to where we got in. 

“ ok well go get lunch now.”

“ sounds good,” I said stepping onto a small rock to make it up to the talkler rocks holding back the water. After making it on top of the rock I had first jumped off of, I continued the same way as I got in. As I started walking over to my shoes and sliding them on everyone else followed putting on their shoes and walking over to the stairs. Me and Jenna continue climbing the long set of stairs until we reach the top revealing a large dirt parking lot.

“I think we park over here” Mom says pointing to a line quads on the other side of the lot. As all of us churn towards the line of parked bright red quads and start walking toward them. As we got closer and closer I started realizing that are trip is almost over and we have to go home in a few days. As I walked over to the quad in the center of the line and hopped in next to Taylor who was already sitting and ready to go. As we drove away all I could do is look back at the amazing view until I couldn’t see it anymore. I tried and tried but I couldn’t, and wouldn't be able to see it for a while. It was then that I realized that I had a new favorite memory.


The author's comments:

This essay was written about my trip to aruba last year. I choose to writte about this because I made some of my favorite memories on that trip.