Sacramento My Home | Teen Ink

Sacramento My Home

December 19, 2019
By MarisolRivas BRONZE, Sacramento, California
MarisolRivas BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

The beautiful city of Sacramento is well known for its culture and tradition expressed in the form of theatrical arts, music, cuisine, festivals and a wide range of tourist attractions. The streets of Sacramento are full of many different traditional foods from so many different cultures. As I walk down the streets I can smell the delicious diverse mixes of cultural dishes held within the restaurants. It feels so peaceful and it's good to know that Sacamento is all about acceptance and respect. Sacramento is full of beautiful parks where you can just kick back and relax while watching the beautiful sun rise and hear birds chirping in the distance. The neighborhoods are so peaceful, you can just sit in the yard and listen to music and feel the wind up against your skin. In sacramento you can go for a bike ride and make new friends easily because of how kind, caring and positive people here are. There's maybe even hundreds of things you can do here, there the california state fair where you can go to go have fun with your family and be filled with the sounds of joy in the kids running around. If fairs aren't your thing and you like more quiet places well there's many libraries where you can go and read and eat a snack or perhaps just use the computer and see the beauty within the communities that you can visit. There is also old sac, in old sac my personal favorite place is candy heaven, as you can tell I love candy and i love eating candies from candy heaven while walking on the big fancy beautiful boat located there in old sa


Sacramento seems like the idea of a perfect world, doesn´t it? Well here's the truth about Sacramento. Sacramento is the total opposite of a perfect city, walk down the streets and all you will smell the scent of swishers,weed, cigars and alcohol, you walk down the street and you will see so many homeless people. Sacramento is a place where children can't even play outside without seeing a drive by or hearing domestic violence happening in the distance. People here are so quick to judge, you cant even wear a pair of sweats and a hoodie without hearing critical comments about your outfit, your opinion isn't valid to anyone and your thoughts don't matter, thats what ive learned throughout my 14 years of living here. Throughout the night you will hear so many gunshots and if you've lived here long enough then you will get used to it and have to and have to accept the  fact that your life can be taken away from you any day. Sometimes maybe even twice a week you'll hear helicopters and speakers looking for wanted prisoners on the lamb or if you're lucky it will just be a robber or shooter on the lease. Sacramento has been a living hell for me because i myself have been homeless at one point, drugs took over my entire family, i was lucky enough to have a family member take me in at the age of 7. It doesn't matter what neighborhood your in, there will always be people in poverty, domestic violence, drug dealers or drug users. 


It sucks, it sucks to have to live with having to be cautious every time we go out, to have to check our surroundings before entering our house to make sure no one is following me. The problems here in sacramento aren't only dangerous neighborhoods but on top of that I have to deal with the pressure that is put on me by having to experience the  rudeness and disrespect people are. But through all the flaws in my city i still consider sacramento my home.

 You see, I don't believe in a perfect world or environments, we all need a little work done in our lives, if you think of it well in a perfect world it would all be so simple and what's the fun with being simple? And all the hard times I've  been through living here has made me the person I am today and I know I'm not even close to being perfect but I'm perfectly fine with that yes i see my imperfections but this community showed me that no matter where I cam or where I go, things will always be either different or worse. People who live in sacramento go through a lot of stress with there income and just financial problems in general but lifes a lesson in itself. What does perfect even mean? I'll tell you how I picture a perfect world, a world where there's no more violence no more sleepless nights because of gunshots and sirens passing by, no more kids losing their lives too soon and no more drunk driving, no more broken hearts and hatred, a perfect world to me is a world that's free of these people who are so racist. Trust me I know when to judge can change the way that i'm living and I can assure you that we all dream of that perfect place. So many imperfections in sacramento yet i still love it here im only 14 but I hope to make it many more years. 


The author's comments:

My writing is about the perfect imperfections in sacramento,Sacramento has alot of flaws and imperfection but nothing is perfect and even with its flaws i still hope to make is many more years here.