The Bathroom Floor | Teen Ink

The Bathroom Floor

By angelynciampa BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
angelynciampa BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

My bathroom floor. The frigid tiles have seen me at my worst. The glossy pastel colors have caught my tears that no one hears. I lie on the floor, my cheek pressed to the cool tile. The cold feels refreshing like the crisp fall air. I stare blankly at the ceiling like a dead corpse. My body is numb to all emotions. I make a list in my head of all the good things. My family. My best friend. Mock trial. Country music. My future. Vacations. It was a common occurrence. Was is the key word. I haven’t gone back to that cold, lonely place since I finally got help. 

Sitting on the bathroom floor. The cool tile under my toes makes then curl. Cold like cement, like rock bottom. I hug my knees as I rock back and forth, like a boulder teetering on the edge of a cliff. That’s where I was; the edge, feeling like I was being pushed closer and closer to falling. I felt sick, so so sick. My anxiety was at an all time high. I felt like I was going to throw up. I needed to throw up. I couldn’t, there was nothing in me to throw up. Tears race down my cheeks, like rain drops on a window. More tears each time I lunge over the toilette and throw up nothing. I felt my world come crashing down. I couldn’t keep lying to myself. I needed help. My heart beat like a bass drum in my chest. One. Two. Three. Four. I’m okay. One. Two. Three. Four. It’ll be okay. 

I peel myself off the unsympathetic ground. I walk out of the room that’s held me when I felt alone. I sit down on the couch with my mom. She takes one look at me and embraces me in a hug. Her warm hug causes my walls to come crashing down. The floodgates have opened as my emotions flow like a raging river. I barely get out the words, “I need help.” She understands. She’s my mom, my guardian angel. My greatest accomplishment is having the strength to get up. I did it. I got help. No more lying to myself about how I’m doing. The bathroom floor can no longer hold me down.