Winter Storm Fanaza | Teen Ink

Winter Storm Fanaza

By wyattrich2 BRONZE, Leander, Texas
wyattrich2 BRONZE, Leander, Texas

"We are what we believe we are." - CS Lewis

Staring at the heavy dark clouds, I realized this storm is nothing like I have seen before. Thursday afternoon I dreaded returning home from school in fear the icy roads would alter my life forever. As my phone buzzed with texts to drive safely, I took the wheel without knowing this is the last time I would leave my house for the week. 

As the temperatures dropped into the teens, anxious thoughts crept into my head. Living in Texas my whole life and seeing snow 2 times prior to this week, I was not prepared for the snowstorm of the century. 

Rolling blackouts. This new term I became vastly familiar with during the week of downfall of snow and ice. Four hours of power accompanied by four hours of darkness. This cycle repeated for six days, additionally not to discredit the loss of water as well. After numerous hours of shoveling snow into our toilets, I came to comprehend how ill prepared Texas was for this natural disaster. To the north what Texas endured this week was another average day, but the millions of families that lost water and power, it will go down in history.       

Texas has never seen snow like this before. In this piece I talk about my experience during the hard week of no power or water while having to stay home due to icy roads.