My Winter Storm Experience | Teen Ink

My Winter Storm Experience

By lottieredding BRONZE, Austin, Texas
lottieredding BRONZE, Austin, Texas

I tossed my duvet over my head and rolled out of bed. I felt a shiver run down my back and was confused as to why it felt like I had been sleeping outside in the cold, damp snow. I stumbled up the stairs and into the living room where my parents were snuggled in front of the fire with their instant coffee they had made from boiling water and a scoop of Folgers. They looked at me with sorrow and whispered “the electricity is out.” I knew what this meant, and it was not something to be excited about; no television, no heat, no lights, and no stove. I sat down on the living room couch, and buried myself in blankets. My dad informed us that he was going to take my dog outside in the backyard and we nodded. A few minutes passed and there were no sounds in the house except a few shivers my mom let out. Suddenly, my mom and I heard a large splash and yelp. We threw off our blankets  and ran outside to see my dog and my dad struggling to get out of our slightly frozen swimming pool. My dad managed to throw my dog over the side ledge and pull himself out. Inside, we smothered my dog with towels and warm blankets as my dad looked betrayed and double crossed, we all laughed and as my mom grabbed a blanket and handed it to my dad. This was something I will never forget about my snow day.