Don't Bother | Teen Ink

Don't Bother

By 1babich BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1babich BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

“Who’s that?  What’s the scoop?  Why can’t I know?”  All these questions invade my personal conversations with my close friends.  Now I do like to tell stories, but some topics should not be disputed with irrelevant people.  

Yes, drama can be interesting, but it is frustrating when I deliberately ask someone to stay out of my business, and instead of leaving, they keep coming back to try to get me to spill.  It feels like my mom pulling my ear as a child‒uncomfortable and annoying.  I think Why on Earth am I the person to be bothered… There are almost eight billion people on this Earth, WHY ME, why must these pests buzz around me like mosquitos, waiting for my guard to fall?  

Some people thrive on drama, but if people do not get fuel for the fire, I find people trying to fuel fake news.  So if people are going to make scenarios up, why bother me about my business?  It feels relieving when someone actually wants to hear what I have to say, but say it to the wrong person, and now everyone knows my secrets.  

It may seem trivial of me to write a paper about other people, but I think some people need to hear this, especially if people tend to easily get frustrated by this same situation.  Although I do like my voice to be heard, someone’s feelings may get crushed, and I take no responsibility if I offend someone.  

I will speak my truth, but I will also warn people about what I am going to say, that way, I do not have to back up my statements because someone got offended, and consequently,  bruising their egos.  Sometimes the truth feels like a stab in the back, but I think it is better than being led on and harboring false hope between myself and my companions.  

The only reason I get annoyed by people butting into my business is that I have done it before, I know what it feels like to share something with someone I do not necessarily care about, or like.  I wanted to know what was happening, even if that person did not want to share, I should have respected that person’s privacy.  

Now, I respect others’ privacy, if people are willing to respect mine. 

For this piece, I just wrote about one of my pet peeves.  I talked about some experiences I have had with people, either I get into their business, or they get into mine.  I also tried to look at the positive side of things, for example, having my voice heard, but also learning to respect other peoples' privacy.