I Had 3 Words Left | Teen Ink

I Had 3 Words Left

July 22, 2021
By Anonymous

I saw a dream yesterday. 

We were living in a dystopian world, where there was a limit on how many words we spoke in our life. When we reached the word limit, we were given a warning, not to speak anymore. If we did, they would kill us. I had 3 words left. And a lot to say. I didn't know what to do. The dream ended with me bashing a man's skull with my bat. I said nothing at all. 

It made me realise 2 very important things. 

First, we spend so many hours talking about useless things, about nothing that truly matters. We talk about how much we hate that girl who talks loudly all the time, and how many followers we got on instagram, and thousands of other things that we could probably do without.
And while doing that, we forget to speak about the important things. We talk about our favourite movie stars, and what ice-cream we like the most. But we do not talk about how much we love our parent, or what we really feel about our politicians.

We have been given the power of words. It is a shame that we do not know how to use it. 

Second, NEVER take away a person's right of expressing themselves. If you do, they will just have to show you how they feel, and that won't be pretty at all.