A Chocolatey Day | Teen Ink

A Chocolatey Day

October 8, 2021
By karasaechao16 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
karasaechao16 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the end, some of your greatest pain becomes your greatest strength." Drew Barrymore


It was a hot summer day. I was 10 years old. I remember because I had a big party themed out of space the day before. Me and my mom were going over to my grandma’s house, to drop off some food for her.  My mom was gonna drop me off to hang out with my grandma for a while because she had to run some errands. When my mom dropped me off I remembered her saying “ Be good and stay out of trouble. Listen to your grandma.” Little did she know I probably wouldn’t listen to her. I walked into my grandma’s house and was hit by a familiar scent. Me and my grandma were best friends. We did everything together. That day we were watching some TV and she was scratching her lottery tickets.  I would always scratch off the ones where she didn’t win any. We were scratching tickets, laughing and just having fun.

Then she reached over to the table next to her and opened the jar filled with chocolate. 

I asked, “Grandma can I get one please”


“No, it’s only for grown ups”, she responded

Me being me I thought to myself that I am a grown up. I just turned 10 so I considered myself pretty grown. So I waited till she went to take a nap. That's when my plan started. I sat on the couch watching cartoons but I’m not quite sure what it was. When my grandma went to sleep I slowly grabbed the  glass jar so it wouldn’t clink on the table. I opened the jar and grabbed one out and I ate it. When I tell you it was one of the most delicious chocolates I have ever eaten. I ate about 5 of them so she really wouldn’t notice it was missing. I put the jar back and watched some cartoons. Then I fell asleep due to the summer heat. I woke up to the sound of my stomach growling, and I thought to myself I must be hungry. Boy was I wrong. Suddenly I had the urge to use the bathroom. I ran as fast as I could to the bathroom and let everything out. My stomach was hurting really bad to the point I was crying. I cried out for my grandma and she went to call my mom to come and get me because there was something wrong with me. My mom came into the bathroom and asked what was wrong and I told her my stomach was hurting really bad. She asked what I ate and I told her that I only ate some of grandma’s chocolate. They laughed and laughed and I was so confused. They said that they were chocolate to help my grandma with her digestive problems. My mom said since I didn't listen I would have to deal with the consequences.  From there on I didn’t eat anything if someone told me not to.


The author's comments:

This is one of my favorite mistakes. It is something I can really go back and laugh about it.