2021 Kindness Contest: A Performing Volunteer | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest: A Performing Volunteer

By dylannriggs BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Utah
dylannriggs BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Utah

A lifetime of glory is worth a moment of pain. -Pete Zamperini

Over the summer, I was able to work with Utah Valley Youth Players to put on the musical Mamma Mia. Though I loved the music and choreography, the primary reason why I wanted to participate was knowing that one-hundred percent of the profits would be donated to Volunteers of America. I knew that this was the perfect project for me to be a part of because it allowed me to serve the community doing what I love most, theatre. Our introduction to the rehearsals was not by learning harmonies or practicing a dance combo but by spending a day at the Volunteer of America Homeless Shelter in Salt Lake City. Our directors accurately believed that the best way to motivate our show was to show us who we would be affecting firsthand. Our whole cast worked hard as we sorted through recent donations and understood the difference Volunteers of America was making on youths just like us. I kept this memory at the forefront of my mind throughout rehearsals to remember what my purpose was. The show ended up being wonderfully profitable, selling out more than any other show done by Utah Valley Youth Players. I have always loved serving in my community, but being able to make a difference as I performed was an experience unlike any other. I felt true success; I found a bridge for my passion for theatre and bringing welfare to others.

I have been performing for years and can confidently say it is my biggest passion. From the panic backstage to the hours of rehearsal to the stress of auditions, I love theatre. Theatre is a goal-oriented art that continuously challenges me to improve. Nothing is more satisfying than repeatedly practicing a difficult song until I can successfully sing it out. Because I specialize in not just singing but also dancing and acting, I can feel this drive to better myself in all three. As I seek to improve, I find guidance in my directors and peers. Theatre has taught me to see the importance everyone can bring into my own story. I was working on a monologue for an upcoming audition and one of my close friends was able to give me advice on what she thought I should do.  Theatre is such a welcoming environment.  I feel confident asking questions and learning more perspectives that can help my own. I have taken this into the rest of my life by always trying to create a safe environment for others.  This attracts people with all types of backgrounds into my life and I am able to adapt and connect easily to many types of people. Theatre has taught me to care for other people because that is what I've felt from those I have been in a cast, company, and class with.