The Big Black Van | Teen Ink

The Big Black Van

November 30, 2021
By FergusonJayla BRONZE, Bloomington, Minnesota
FergusonJayla BRONZE, Bloomington, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I remember when I got picked up from school a little later than usual and the sun was nowhere to be seen from the rain that covered the sky every way you looked. My mom tried to rush us to the car, and she didn’t want me to be late to dance, or get soaked in the rain. The rain was banging on the glass, but we were making our way to dance class. I looked out my window to watch the raindrops race again. I was hoping that the rain drop sliding down on the right would win, as to me right was always the better option. All of the sudden my eyes took a look over to the other side of the road. I got brought in and tried to get a better look at what was happening. As I got a better view I saw someone in a pulled over car reaching for something. Just as we were about to pass them, they reached out for an umbrella and pushed it outside of the car. Speeding past them I saw a man who appeared to be homeless, and drenched with water standing in the middle of the road. I looked to see a smile that spread across both sides of his face,as the family in the black car handed him the umbrella. At that moment all I wanted to do was turn around and give him some money, or a blanket. At that moment all I felt was how much I wanted to help others because of that family. 

“Look! Someone just gave away an umbrella to a homeless person!” I said pointing out my window.

“Let me see!” My sister shouted, as she pushed herself as far forward as she could with a seatbelt on. “ Wow, that's cool!!”

I peered out the window for the last time watching as the black car pulled away. The homeless person was still standing there, but this time happy, and with an umbrella.


The author's comments:

I was a lot younger in this story but I can't beiielve that I still remeber and use this very small but kind action in my live today.