What's In A Name? | Teen Ink

What's In A Name?

April 23, 2022
By bugjuicepoetry ELITE, Fort Wayne, Indiana
bugjuicepoetry ELITE, Fort Wayne, Indiana
204 articles 28 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was born very far from where I'm supposed to be. So, I guess I'm on my way home."


My birth, legal, and dead name  sounds concerningly like the name of an English Monarch. It seems too long, too feminine, too not me. My first name isn't very unique, neither. My parents named me that because everybody kept calling the baby a Mack Truck. But they wanted my forename to be more "feminine" because god forbid I be masculine. Ergo, instead of being Mack, I became Mackenzie. The joke is on them, though, because everyone calls me Mack anyways.
I don't feel very connected to my name, and I’m picking a new one for when I come out as trans. For now, I’ll just settle with nicknames. Mack n cheese or Little Mack, and then you get into nicknames that have more to do with you than they have to do with your name. I always like those better. They have stories and people attached to them. Like Mack-Attack and My Favorite Avocado. Those names mean something to me because they're names directly related to me.
I’m still choosing my name. I’d like to go by Mack because a lot of people already call me it. I’m picking out new middle names. I might base them off of my family, and use family names such as Steven, Charles, Thomas, and Patrick. I might find other names I like better though.