Like a Bird | Teen Ink

Like a Bird

By danikosidowski GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
danikosidowski GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

I am a bird. Ever since I can remember I have dreamt of flying away; feeling the air beneath my wings as I leave my hometown and pursue my dreams. Through the years of constant daydreams and a necessity for growth, I have persevered, and am now just a short year away from getting out. The stars call my name and I can’t help but feel a pounding urge to follow.

Not all people are born to fly, so many people seek familiarity and never want to leave where they came from. Me, on the other hand, I always wanted out.

My need for escape began as soon as I realized that I didn’t fit in Hartland. Any chance I get I drive to the city to find culture, diversity, and life—away from the harmful closemindedness of this town. I hate having to go to school and hear the snide, racist, and homophobic comments from kids who have lived here their whole lives. Having to brush them off or pretend I didn’t hear them just so I can get through my day. It will be over soon, I try to convince myself.

Being stuck in one place only leads to my demise. I want to live in a big city where there are endless opportunities and room for me to breathe.  Whenever I think about walking down city streets to work, seeing all the people around doing the same thing—chasing our dreams—I am comforted. Something about the thought of constant chaos around me in a city is so encouraging. I never want to feel stuck in Wisconsin; I want to break away from what people expect of me and get out.

My dad is one of the people who never moved out of his small town and to this day it is one of his biggest regrets. He wishes he branched out and escaped these people, but now almost done raising a family here, he is in too deep. He wishes he didn’t feel so trapped. 

I hate feeling trapped. There is always the fear in the back of my mind that I won’t get out of Wisconsin, but reminders of people that got out of their small towns and successfully chased their dreams show me that it is possible. 

I picture myself 15 years from now, living comfortably with someone I love, having fulfilled my dreams of working in film, and only returning to Hartland to see family (if they haven’t left as well). I hope that I have reached my full potential and flown like a bird, far far away. 

My final exam for my composition class, written about my want to escape my small town.