Essay Contest: Chairs and Desks | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Chairs and Desks

By Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

“Hi, Grandma!” I said as I was walking into St. Charles. (the school my grandma works at)

“Oh hey! I am so thankful that you could come today,” she said. 

The room was filled with different chairs and desks for all of the students. Grandma and I definitely had our work cut out for us but I was willing to help no matter how long it would take. We started with the desks. There were square desks, rectangular desks, and even desks in the shape of a hexagon. Luckily they were numbered and correlated with numbers on the ground which made it a lot easier for us to organize. 

Next, we put chairs by the desks. Some of the chairs were rocker chairs but most of them were normal chairs. The chairs were so small which blew my mind because I already thought high school chairs were small. It took about 30 minutes to finish putting all of the chairs into place but it went smoothly and it was nice to have time to talk to my grandma. We talked about changes in the school like how she was now just teaching art, the new extensions getting added onto the school, and my senior year of high school that I was excited for but also a little scared for. 

“All we have left is to wipe down everything,” she said.

“Sounds good,” I responded.

Although cleaning each individual chair and desk was tedious, the time went faster because I was able to spend quality time with my grandma. She would occasionally go to my sporting events, but the only time I ever saw her besides that was during the holidays. When It was time for me to leave for my volleyball practice I could tell she was very happy that I was able to help her today and that made me happy. It helped me learn that I should spend more time with my family members even if it is doing something I'm not all too fond of.

This is an entry for the Teens Making a Difference contest.