Essay Contest: Small Gestures | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Small Gestures

October 3, 2022
By Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This past summer my neighbor Trudy had an accident where she fell and hurt herself. Her nose broke and she ended up needing to get surgery on her nose. The doctor also said that she should not be walking as much which is another thing she and her husband love doing in the evenings. Trudy has been a great neighbor over the years that my family and I have lived in our house. She has been alone after her husband died and then found a person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with at a car show a few years ago. She is hip driving in her convertible. She has been kind to my sister and me as we have grown up. We had been praying for a swift recovery which becomes less and less common in people's elderly years. I also wanted to make her some zucchini bread.

 I had made it weeks before and it was a flunk which sometimes happens with me and bread. I retried and this time it was near perfection. I wrapped it up in a pretty towel and rang the doorbell. Mel, Trudy’s husband, answered the door. He filled me in on how she was doing and told me she was having a hard time with all the medication and sitting around. He also tried telling me that her eyes were puffy and bruised and her nose is achy but it came out more as him pointing to his face and whispering something about how she won't come to the door today because her face is still recovering.

I did not see her out and about until a week later. She was wearing large sunglasses and a hat to hide her face. She was walking around though which was progress. She was so thankful for the bread. She got quite emotional and even started tearing up. I stood and smiled not knowing how to react. You could tell that the whole accident was really taking her spirit down. She could not believe that someone would go out of their way to lift them up. I did not realize it but a thing as simple as making zucchini bread for a neighbor in need could have a large impact. 

She is doing much better now and is back to her normal self. Her complexion has healed and she is back to taking walks around the neighborhood. I am happy I could help even if it was a small gesture.