The Change In My Life | Teen Ink

The Change In My Life

October 10, 2022
By mtaylor2025 GOLD, Mexico, Missouri
mtaylor2025 GOLD, Mexico, Missouri
19 articles 5 photos 0 comments

I still remember the night my nephew got kidnapped. He was taken away from us by his own mother. Something I never thought would happen, my worst nightmare. I couldn't fathom the thought of never seeing him again, but just like that, he was gone. Appalled and fearful, we went after him. 

It was a chilly night, and I was walking away from the concession stand after I had a softball game. While I was walking to another field to watch a baseball game, I saw my brother and he looked frantic. Our nephew had just been taken. We jumped into the car, called the police, and headed to follow the mother of my nephew who had just taken him away. On the way, I had fallen asleep, and when I woke up, we were back at home, with my nephew. A few days later, we got the papers to get full custody of him. Now, here we are, 4 years later, and I couldn't imagine my life without him. I have taken the responsibility to not only be his aunt but to be there for him. For him to call me his “sissy”, to protect him, and never let him get taken away from me again. To love, and adore him. I will be here for him, to teach him to grow up and be an amazing young man, and I can’t wait to see that happen. 

Even though it’s been years, and I've tried to brush it away from my memory, I will never forget that night. The pit in my stomach when it was a possibility I would never see him again. Ever since that night, I will never take advantage of having him around.  My nephew now lives with my mother and me, and we could not be happier. I am honored to be his aunt and to call him my nephew. It was a blessing in disguise that he was put into my life, and I will try to provide the best life I could possibly give him.


The author's comments:

Though it's just another person in my life, he has made such a big difference in my life, but I have also made such a different in his life.