November Twenty-Fourth | Teen Ink

November Twenty-Fourth

October 21, 2022
By kammywammy2235 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
kammywammy2235 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One of my fondest memories is the day my younger sister was born. Before her birth, I was the only child for 10 years and I was perfectly content with being my mom's only priority. However the day my mom came home with a brown paper bag and me being the inquisitive 9-year-old I was, I opened it and found a pregnancy test. I was shocked, to say the least. Throughout her pregnancy, I was ecstatic to be a big sister especially when I found out it was a girl and that I could name her. looking back on it now I can see how my mom was trying her best to make sure I felt important and really soaked up the last few months she had with me as her only daughter. Her whole pregnancy flew by and before we knew it she was due any minute. My mom actually went into labor at night. The night started off like any other with me getting my hair washed and being tucked into bed however not long into the night my mom's water broke as she was getting into the shower. I can't actually remember if she woke me up or if I woke up on my own but before long my aunt and cousin who were basically our neighbors came to pick us up to drive to the hospital. I just remember us laughing the whole time going to the hospital about how my mom looked as if she was peeing herself the whole time. Eventually, we got to the hospital and my grandmother joined us. In my opinion, my mom's birth was very peaceful, we played gospel music the whole time and just supported her the best we could. She wanted an all-natural birth but she eventually opted for an epidural. Everything was going smoothly until my mom's and sister's heart rates started dropping as she was starting to push causing a whole bunch of doctors to come into the room to help deliver my sister. Because it was an emergency me and my cousin actually got to stay in the room to see the birth.  Although I was half asleep watching my sister be brought into the world was one of the most beautiful moments of my life, although i didn't have her in so many ways she felt like my baby too, and still to this day she's like my little mini-me. Becoming an older sister really has made me conscious of the things that I do or say because I know that there are always little eyes watching my every move honestly becoming a sister is a love that I cannot describe and I am so grateful to have witnessed the magic of birth. About 8 years later and I have a total of 3 sisters and I am just in awe of all of them every time a new one is born I get the same blissful feeling I did when Ariah was born. Although I love all my sisters the same me and Ariah will have a special connection because she's the one who made me a big sister and I will always thank her for that.