What the United States Flag Stands for | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands for

My earliest memory of the flag was when I was six and my family and I were waiting for my Uncle David to come home from his mission. As all of us held a miniature flag, we eagerly waited for him to come around the corner. As he came around in his camo uniform,  the first thing I noticed was a small flag in the cup holder of his backpack. 

Before he was almost to us,  I glanced at my family,  curious as to how everyone else was processing. My grandma caught my attention; she was crying and smiling at the same time. Confused, I asked, “What’s wrong grandma?”

Before answering,  she brushed my hair behind my ear and said, “nothing, sweetheart, I promise I’m just filled with so much joy seeing your uncle again!” 

Shortly after our little conversation, we went in for a big hug and everyone was like my grandma earlier crying and smiling. Without realizing it, so was I. 

After a few minutes of catching up, we began to head outside. As I left, holding the flag with my uncle in front, I felt honored to be walking with a real-life hero. 

Even though I was only six years old at the time, 11 years later I still remember waiting at the airport like it was just yesterday. Looking back I didn’t fully understand the sacrifice, commitment, and hard work it took to leave your friends and family to go into the service. But now that I’m older and have a better understanding, I feel blessed to live in a country where men and women sacrifice their lives for our country. 

This is why every morning at 7:30 am I feel responsible to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and remember the sacrifices all of the men and women have given up for our country.