Roller Coasters | Teen Ink

Roller Coasters

By spookyguy BRONZE, Cupertino, California
spookyguy BRONZE, Cupertino, California

I know people are incredibly polarized on this debate, existing on either side of the scale. I love roller coasters, once I went on a roller coaster 5 times in a row, going up down left right, feeling the g-force. But that doesn’t mean I love every part of it. Though some people are terrified, others love the thrill. Roller coasters seem to represent a different ideal for every person. 

For some, the feeling right before you drop might be an amazing thrill. Tilting your head up at the sun smiling down. Then looking below you, with the park standing proudly, all the other rides and screams of joy and sometimes even fear, knowing you’re about to plummet down toward that very park.

For others, it might be terrifying, to feel those same things. Tilting your head up at the sun smiling down, and thinking how much closer you are to it-though if you think logically you aren’t really that much closer. Then, looking at the park below, and realizing how much farther away it now is, knowing you're about to plummet towards it.

It seems I exist in the middle of those two extremes. In my experience, the ascension is the scariest part, hearing all the clicks and clanks of machinery,, sometimes I even close my eyes during it. The moment right before the drop is a close second, like hanging off a ledge, but the moment after that drop is the purest form of joy. The elation of seemingly going faster than sonic has a thrill aspect that I both love and crave.

In that moment, I just wish I could feel that joy forever.

In this set piece, I experimented with imagery and tried to use different mood and tone. I also incorporated some personification. In the middle, I incorporated a tiny bit of repetition. added similes in the last paragraph. You can see these in how I describe different places, and the words I use as various circumstances occur. In this story, I write about how I feel about roller coasters and describe a variety of experiences I have had with them. My favorite part is describing the scene at the very top of the coaster.