Dream Career | Teen Ink

Dream Career

By 4albrecht GOLD, Hartford, Wisconsin
4albrecht GOLD, Hartford, Wisconsin

Interviewer: Welcome back to Channel 24 News, today we are joined by eight year old Ela Albrecht. She will be telling us about her dreams to be a marine biologist. So Ela, what is inspiring you to want to help our marine life? 

Ela Albrecht: Um, I just love dolphins and the beautiful sea creatures that are living in the ocean. Every day they face struggles like abandonment, pollution, and chemical imbalances. I want to help them because there aren't many people that would dedicate their life to operate on these complex animals. 

Interviewer: And what steps will you take to achieve this goal?

Ela Albrecht: I will continue to come visit marine hospitals in Florida. I am planning to focus on biology and zoology classes in high school, then I will go to college for marine biology. 

Interviewer: Why thank you for joining us today Ela, we hope to see you again in the future to check in on your progress to becoming a marine biologist. 

Fast Forward to today, I would never have expected my desires to change so drastically. 

Ever since I was little, I had wanted to be a marine biologist. Memories of watching Dolphin Tale, and Dolphin Tale 2 and dreaming of saving baby dolphins and small sea turtles. Then highschool came, and I started taking lots of biology classes to help me get a start on my medical career. Along with the history and government classes to help propel my dream of being a lawyer. But I started noticing that I tend to get queasy at the sight of blood, and I couldn't even picture a scalpel in my head without getting a chill down my spine. This puts a damper on my lifelong dreams and upsets me when I think about it deeply because deep down that is what I want to do. Realistically, I am deciding between a lawyer, and an anesthesiologist. When I think about it, I get down on myself because becoming a lawyer seems to have a lot more challenges-passing the bar exam, 8 hours of studying a day, for four weeks. I don't think I would be able to handle that much studying as I have never really had good study habits. So therefore, I think that anesthesiology will be the most relatable option for me. It is in the medical field, but does not require you to be slicing people open and looking at guts all day. GROSS. 

Although, as unachievable as the lawyer dream may seem, if you put your mind to it, you can do anything. I still have many years to change my studying habits. And who knows, maybe in a few years the requirements will change. Kim Kardashian was able to pass her bar exam while still being a mom, and a super busy woman. This level of motivation can be portrayed in almost any situation, if you are ready to put in the work, you might not have to take the easy way out and you can do anything you want.