One Beep | Teen Ink

One Beep

By fill2425 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
fill2425 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

I can’t live without an insulin pump, it means too much to me. Without it, I would lose a very close person to my life that has a huge impact on who I am today, which is my father. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to make memories with this person, like watching movies or going out to baseball games. I always feel the buzz in my pocket which sends a straight shock through my leg. During school I only get to look after class, it’s almost like a reminder telling me to remind my father to take his insulin. It pains me knowing that if there was no such thing that he wouldn’t be here today.

I once had an experience with this dramatic event. An early morning that seemed to be so fine, but dramatically turned for the worst. He was shaking on the couch with no response. I was very young at the time and had no clue what was happening. I was sitting in a dark corner wrapped around my sister crying. The lone heartbeat I heard and the shakiness of her body that went up and down through mine. In that moment and time I was able to call my neighbor close by and that day she became the hero. Police were called where they eventually took care of my father, but till this day I still have the fear of it happening again.

Now I worry will this ever happen again, what if I'm away and my sister is all alone. What will she do, no one around her to keep her safe or to not worry. What if no one is home to help him. I always stay on top of his insulin intake, I always check it even if I'm in a class or a test. If there was only one thing I could take from my burning house, it would be his insulin. IF that was gone he wouldn’t be here today, and I can’t afford to lose my father.