Live Without | Teen Ink

Live Without

September 28, 2023
By ArrowheadRocks25 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
ArrowheadRocks25 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Memories with my Grandpa

Imagine if there was a fire in your house and at the last second you can only grab one item you can save. Some people would say tv or computer or their backpack. You see, I would pick my phone. I didn’t just pick my phone so I could text people. I picked this my phone because there are a lot of memories that I have on my phone and if I were to lose it all of the memories would disappear. The one thing that I would save on my phone is a picture with me and my grandpa. My grandpa died in early 2021 because of cancer and I didn’t get to see him much during his final stages because of the covid pandemic. 

I have a few pictures of me and my grandpa on my phone but one sticks out more than the rest. That is a picture of me and my grandpa at a Brewers game. We went to the game early to tailgate. We made foods like burgers and hotdogs. Me and my dad were throwing the baseball around until my mom called the whole family in to take a picture. So the whole family crowded in and took a picture next to where we tailgated. It would suck if I lost my phone and the picture of me and him disappeared. It would also suck because my whole life would be different. If I lost this item I would slowly start to forget about my grandpa and all the memories we made together throughout the years. I would forget about things like when me and my grandpa built a pond in my backyard or when me and him would play catch at my grandparents house. I would forget about the relationship me and him had.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not seeing him more when he had cancer. I didn’t really get to tell him how much I loved him. I was still pretty young when he died so it didn’t take much of a toll on me when he passed away. As the years have passed on I have heard more and more stories about what a great person he was and what I missed out on. I would hear stories about when he was in the army or when he was a truck driver. If I could go back in time I would make sure I spent my time with my grandpa and would actually sit down and listen to the stories that he told me. We once went on a trip to Washington D.C. together and we looked at all the history there was to offer like Ford’s Theater where Lincoln was shot or George Washington’s house Mount Vernon. 

So in the end if I had to save one item from my phone I would save a picture of me and my grandpa at a Brewers game because if I lost it, I would slowly forget and lose all of my memories that I made with him.


The author's comments:

I wrote an article about my Grandpa who died.