Moving to Another Place? | Teen Ink

Moving to Another Place?

By Eleanorthecat BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Eleanorthecat BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Here’s how I handled moving from one state to another.

When my parents said to me that we would be moving from Missouri to Arizona, I was scared. It was even more scary since I’ve never been to the state before.  And of course, I did overhear some stuff here and there about moving. But, when I finally arrived to Arizona, and started at my new school, nothing was really what I worried about.

If you’re like me, moving to a new part of your country, or even to another country, here are some tips: 

1.  Don’t worry so much about it: I did worry a lot, and even cried when my parents first told me. But I didn’t let my worries affect me for a while after that, meaning I was actually quite excited to go to Arizona!

2. Just think, “It’s a new place!”: Arizona is quite different from Missouri, The state has Saguaro cactuses, mountains, and it’s considered the desert! If you ever moved from a desert state to a flat state, then it would feel as different!

3. Preview the place: I looked up pictures online of the part of Arizona I was moving to, and it could make you feel better about the place, so that it doesn’t feel like you’re on a different planet.

4. People are just people: Of course, some people can be sour, some people can be sweet. The people at my new school are almost the same as at my old one, but they tend to be a little more silly. This could be different for you depending on which school you’re going to. Remember, all people are different!

5. Say goodbye to teachers and friends: It’s hard to say goodbye, but even if you’re still worried, don’t just ignore them on your last day of going to school before moving! Some things just can’t go with you.

6. Have fun: When me, Dad, and my twin sister went on the road trip through lots of new states for the move to Arizona to see Mom again, it was a blast! 

And remember, when you’re older, you can always come back and visit the state you moved out of. Maybe if you’re lucky, then you’ll see your teachers and friends again! If your parents let you, then you can also connect with them through social media. 

I hope this article helps you as much as these tips helped me.

When Eleanor Stiefer grows up, she wants to write a full length book, but for now, she’s writing for magazines that accept works from teens. She lives in Arizona with her family, and if you ask her, she’s really enjoying it!