Deserted Resort | Teen Ink

Deserted Resort

By Ibrahim_deen BRONZE, Lahore, Other
Ibrahim_deen BRONZE, Lahore, Other

A faint rustling broke the deafening silence. The rustle was from a pile of dead brown leaves. They moved as a light breeze flew by. The tree nearby, from which the leaves originated, stood bare and sickly. No wonder this resort was quiet in the autumn. With nature like this and the damp, cold weather, no one would want to come here.

I readjusted the lawn chair I was sitting on and let my gaze drift across the huge resort building. It seemed quite desolate. The parking area was vacant except for a few cars belonging to the hotel staff. A lone crow flew down from the roof of the resort. As I followed its journey down, I noticed faults in the building. The paint on the outside of the top three to four floors was peeling. The plants on the balconies had become infested with nasty yellow weeds. Some windows were painless in spots. The lack of care, or rather, the lack of use, was prevalent.

I closed my eyes to fully immerse myself in the peaceful surroundings. As soon as my sight was cut off, my hearing and smell were enhanced. The background murmurs became clearer. And distinct noises sharpened. Far off, I could hear the valet parker cracking jokes with the security guard. I could visualize him leaning against the gate, engaged in conversation in his deep, scratchy voice. I could hear the sparrows tweeting as they flew by far above. I could smell the distinct aroma of dying, decomposing leaves.

I stood in the middle of the lobby. In one corner sat the cashier. His head rested on his arm as he sat fast asleep. A sliver of drool escaped his slightly open mouth. I traced it as it trickled down his chin and dropped onto the desk below. I had spent long enough in this depressing resort. This peaceful escape has now started to make me long for people and my busy life. I traveled up using the dingy elevator to pack my bags and leave, quite likely never to return.