Growing Up Early | Teen Ink

Growing Up Early

By DanielAlonso BRONZE, Hemet, California
DanielAlonso BRONZE, Hemet, California

At what point in life does someone become a grown-up? People might say it is when you get your first job and start making your own money or when you’re paying your bills for the first time. Sure, these things are part of becoming an adult, but when I think of a grown-up, I think of someone who sets everything aside to care for the people they love. To me, it's the most grown-up thing someone can do.

Growing up quickly due to circumstances beyond my control was rough for me, but it also transformed me into a better person. Taking on adult responsibilities early on was sometimes scary, but it brought me purpose and resilience.

Early in my life, I had to learn the importance of adapting to my surroundings. In neighborhoods like the ones I grew up in, people tend to follow the wrong path. My mom taught me to keep up with school and kept me busy playing sports. Because of her, I learned to take responsibility for myself, which may be the most meaningful part of my upbringing. My mom also kept extra busy, working two, sometimes three jobs at a time to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads. Being young, I took that for granted. I wish I had shown her more appreciation while she was still alive. 

Being the oldest of three, I was responsible for myself and my brothers. I had to grow up early so I could help raise them. Whenever my mom wasn’t around, I was responsible for my brothers. I’ve been babysitting since I was seven or eight. I even learned how to cook just for them. I would also walk my little brother, Archie, to school and back and help him with his homework if he had any. I was six years old when he was born. We’ve always been close, but with an age gap like that, we didn’t grow up together. I’d say I’ve been almost a father figure to him. 

Caring for my brothers taught me the importance of selflessness and unconditional love. I learned that sometimes, the best thing to do is put aside your needs and desires to care for those you love. It's not always fair, but it's part of being a responsible and caring adult. Seeing my mom work all day to make ends meet showed me the importance of hard work and dedication. It taught me that sometimes life is tough, but you must keep pushing forward and do your best, even when things seem impossible.

My mom always treated me like an adult. We had conversations most kids my age wouldn’t have until years later. Because of this, I’ve always been more mature than most people my age. In the end, I don't regret the experiences that made me grow up faster than most. They helped shape me into who I am today, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. It's not easy to take on adult responsibilities at a young age, but those were the most rewarding experiences that have taught me the values of growing up.

My name is Daniel, I'm a sophomore. I wrote this piece to share my experiences and opinions on growing up early.