Number 4 | Teen Ink

Number 4

By Kennah07 BRONZE, Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
Kennah07 BRONZE, Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania

As they put the needle in my arm, I realized it doesn't hurt as much as it used to when I was little. Checkup number three this month, and it's only the 15th. Doctor number four this year and it's only April. With every doctor I swear they will figure out what is wrong with me, but no one ever can. My body makes me this way, I can't control it. I'm not like other kids. I can't play in the rain, because I may get a cold. Colds for normal kids lead them to take cough medicine, but for me it ends with an IV in my arm and a lab that comes back triple what they should be. I wish I could play sports, maybe soccer or lacrosse like all my friends, but for me contact sports aren't allowed just in case I get hurt. I can't control it because I was born with it, but with every checkup and doctor I wish they would tell me something new. I wish I could hear the words we know what's wrong with you. In my head they would slide off their tongue like butter, and a smile would appear like it was magic. I'm on checkup number three and doctor number four and its only April 15th, but maybe doctor number four will make me smile.

When I was born, I was diagnosed with spherocytosis. It is a hereditary blood disorder that affects your immune system and spleen. After seeing many doctors and losing the hope that I would make it, I finally was told they could save me. I was ten then, and now I am sixteen. Though I am not cured, and I still have a long way to go I prove to myself and everyone else that you can be a normal kid while living through something horrible.