Teenager's Mental Health -- Are Schools Doing Enough? | Teen Ink

Teenager's Mental Health -- Are Schools Doing Enough?

By cadenceemort BRONZE, Exton, Pennsylvania
cadenceemort BRONZE, Exton, Pennsylvania

Negative mental health in teenagers has been on the rise since 2007. Social media plays an important part in why negative mental health in teenagers seems to be on the rise. Currently, it can also be argued that schools are not doing enough to combat negative mental health and support students who are struggling; however, it is not as simple as providing one fix. American public schools are faced with a plethora of issues; including but not limited to, a lack of counselors in schools and little to no resources regarding mental health awareness. However, practicing vulnerability and self-expression can help individuals combat negative mental health when professional resources aren’t available.
            Social media is usually the first to be blamed for why rates of negative mental have risen in teenagers. According to a study done by the Centers for Disease Control, “the suicide rate among 10 to 24-year-olds was stable from 2000 to 2007; then it increased 57% between 2007 and 2017.” As negative mental health has risen, the popularity of social media rose as well, which is why people often group the two together. Research done by MIT Sloan School of Management found that “college-wide access to Facebook led to an increase in severe depression by 7% and anxiety disorders by 20%.” In my own experience, I have definitely experienced negative thoughts due to social media usage. I have found that excessively checking social media increased the feeling of being left out and missing out on social functions. Seeing people posting about hanging out and not being invited is one of the worst feelings. Furthermore, social media creates a need for validation through the number of likes and comments on posts. There were times when I took Instagram posts down due to not getting enough likes on them. However, in recent times, social media platforms have created solutions to these problems. On Instagram, it is possible to turn off the number of likes on a post, so no one can see the like count. Also, apps like VSCO exist, where there are no likes, only “favorites” and “reposts.” On VSCO, no one can see the number of favorites or reposts on a post, so the need for validation through likes is nonexistent.
            In recent years, mental health has become a bigger topic of conversation in schools, but are schools doing enough? Schools have been discussing mental health more regularly during classes and assemblies. Furthermore, sports teams have been put under more pressure to eliminate hazing between teammates. However, many students still think that their schools are not doing enough. In a study I conducted, I found that on average, Great Valley High School students rated their school a 6 on a scale from 1-10 regarding how well their school advocates for mental health awareness. On the contrary, students from The Crefeld School, a progressive education school in Philadelphia that prioritizes hands-on and experimental learning, received an average score of 9. When asked about the mental health resources available to them at school, students at The Crefeld School reported feeling comfortable speaking to their counselor about mental health problems and feeling supported by emotional support staff members throughout the school day. Furthermore, The Crefeld School operates on a block schedule, and students said that this makes their school days more varied, because it isn’t the same schedule every day. Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of students at Great Valley High School reported not feeling comfortable speaking with their counselor about mental health. Several students stated that they felt like they didn’t know their counselor very well, and they had only met with their counselor for schedule changes and college meetings.
            While mental health awareness is important to be taught in school, it is also important at home. According to a study done by the National Education Association, “nearly three-quarters of U.S. parents said their child would benefit from mental health counseling—up from 68 percent in 2021.” But are these children getting the mental health counseling they need? The National Education Association reports that approximately 60% of teens with depression did not get treatment in the past year. While several students reported struggling with mental health for a period of time, only 38% of students regularly see a therapist outside of school. In my own experience, I have noticed that several of my friends would struggle with mental health, but not be able to get a therapist, or they wouldn’t feel comfortable speaking with a school counselor or their parents. While discussing mental health with peers is productive because they may be able to relate, fellow students are also not able to give the support or advice a licensed therapist would be able to. Perhaps more schools should implement emotional support specialists and prioritize stronger student-counselor relationships.
            While utilizing school counselors, therapists, peers, and family members to discuss mental health and spread awareness is a productive step in reversing the stigma surrounding mental health, there are also several steps we can take as individuals. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable by trying new things, being more open, and putting yourself into situations that could be uncomfortable is an excellent way to connect with others and perhaps improve the mental health of oneself and others. During the spring of 6th grade, my friend Meredith tragically passed away. Shortly after, my middle school was hosting a father-daughter dance. Her dad was kind enough to bring me to the dance. My dad is not in my life, so he knew that this was an experience neither of us would get to have. Forcing myself to be vulnerable allowed both of us to heal and connect. Overall, it is important to put yourself into new situations and experience new things, because sometimes it is the best way to positively improve mental health.    

Throughout my teenage years, I have seen the effect that mental health has had on my peers. From grieving the loss of friends due to suicide to struggling with personal matters at home, I believe we all need to be doing more to look out for ourselfs and others. You never know what someone else is going through, so practicing kindness towards others is a small act that can make someone's day.