How To Clear Your Mind With 2D Art | Teen Ink

How To Clear Your Mind With 2D Art

By BriProx BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
BriProx BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Having the ability to sit down and capture the curiosity and emotions within your brain, and transform it into an art form is magical. Some are born with this talent while others have to work towards it. Mia Hansen, a student at Arrowhead High School in Hartland, Wisconsin, carries out art in a pen and pencil 2D fashion. Although Hansen was born with this natural talent and has been drawing since she could remember, she enhances her skills by practicing. Hansen’s tip for drawing is to, “Start off with an easy picture then start to test yourself, and if it looks bad don’t get discouraged. You can always fix a drawing by redoing a part of it.” 

Art is as simple as picking up a writing utensil and creating what your mind sees. Although the physical action of drawing is easy, the hard part of the process is knocking into your mind and letting the ideas flow. People with complex thinking often find themselves with no ideas of what to draw. Ideas will only come once the logic is shut off and the intuition is turned on. At this point, the next step is letting your hand control the pencil and the forms that it creates. When Hansen finds herself stuck she said that, “I ask my dad for ideas of what to draw, and whatever he tells no matter how challenging I try my best to draw it.” Not only will asking other people expand your capabilities, but it could also offer skills that you haven’t considered utilizing yet.

The best aspect about art is that you can do it anywhere and at any time. Drawing at different locations and times of the day is another way to open your mind to new ideas by changing the scenery around you. Such as a location change from your house to the park could help you incorporate more nature into your piece. Hansen often finds herself sketching animals, mostly dogs, on her tests when she is stuck or finished. Not only does this serve as a relaxing point but it could also refresh her memory about what she studied for the test. More people should be encouraged to express their interests through art as it is soothing to both the mind and body.