I Want to Go Back | Teen Ink

I Want to Go Back

June 5, 2024
By 5schneider BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5schneider BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I want to go back to when I was 5. Where we still took naps and didn't have big responsibilities, we went to school still, yet we enjoyed it. The reading, writing, and playing, it all was fun. When we went back home, we didn’t spend hours doing homework. Instead, I spent hours playing—using anything to allow my imagination to keep going. When I used any toy, or any item to placate my imagination. The exciting, bright, bold colors of my doll house—each item inside perfectly placed. The whole doll house was just delightfully decorated, at least in my opinion. Yet, it might not have been perfect, but it was special to me.

I want to go back to when I was 8. When we would play outside all summer with our friends. When I would spend hours just laying in the grass; I would look up to the calm clouds deciding what each one looked like. I want to feel the excitement when I find the largest cloud in the sky. “The cloud is cotton candy flowing through the breeze,” I ascertained the shape and told my sister. My sister and I would play in the grass. Doing cartwheels. Being kids. This might not seem fun to as many people now, but it was special to me. 

I want to go back to when I was younger. When I was just a novice, experiencing so many new things. I want to go back to when I didn’t see the way people abhor other people. I want to see the good in people: be able to see the world through a child’s eyes. To be able to not have a care in the world and just play. I loved being a child, it was special to me.

I want to go back to when I was younger. I have always wanted to go back to my past ages, to be able to experience those memories again. To be able to have the freedom of a child. Instead, I realize, I like now; we can’t go back in time to go to the past. When looking back at my past memories I realize that growing up is important, and as I grow older I will be able to look at today and want to go back to this age. While I may want to go back, I can now realize just how many more amazing things I am going to do. How many experiences I will get. All of my years have had their ups and downs, but it was special to me.


The author's comments:

This piece is about thinking back to your childhood, the fun memories, and how we gain many more each year.