Golf Cart | Teen Ink

Golf Cart

By NettieMcClutchy BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
NettieMcClutchy BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

As I jumped onto the back of my uncle's golf cart I didn't realize the dangers that came along with this vehicle. I had my hands gripping the plastic roof of the cart and my feet on the metal stepping bar. Laughter danced through the air along with the girl's long hair. My brother Ollie was driving, this was the first mistake. Ollie is known for being reckless when it comes to driving. A prime example was when he crashed this same golf cart and broke the axil the previous summer. 

The sun was going down and darkness began to fall upon Black River Falls. Ollie slammed the gas and we began speeding our way down the steep hill that was our grandparents driveway. All was good until one wheel hit a pothole in the hill and all the sudden SMACK. My body was lying on the concrete ground. I layed there for a minute trying to wrap my head around what had just happened. 

“Stop stop, Ollie go back up” I heard fainting in very panicky voices. 

I heard my name being shouted from further down the hill. It got louder with each stride my cousin Paddy took. 

“I’m fine, I'll just go inside”. 

I walk into the house, my eyes are showing no sign of tears. I get into the kitchen and I'm welcomed into a warm group of my aunts and older cousins. 

“I fell off the golf cart” I say through laughter. 

My cousin Hanna sees that I'm holding in some emotion, “you can cry nets.” Tears began to stream down my face. It's not until a few moments later why I realized I'm crying. I notice the burning sensation in my elbow. I turn my arm to look at my elbow that is gushing rivers worth of blood through my shirt. I can't get words out of my mouth so I simply hold up my elbow in front of the crowd of family crammed into the small kitchen. The room fills with gasps while my aunt runs to the medicine cabinet.  

The next few days were filled with many packages of gaws, neosporin, and blood soaked bandages. The local Walgreens was tired of seeing our faces buying more bandaids. So next time you decide to go on a golf cart ride I urge you to actually sit in a spot before moving unless you want a scar spread across the middle of your elbow. 

I wrote this piece for my Composition final.