What about the Good Old Days? | Teen Ink

What about the Good Old Days?

By Katie_Potatie PLATINUM, Leavenworth, Kansas
Katie_Potatie PLATINUM, Leavenworth, Kansas

There are no regrets in my life; because there is no time for mistakes. -(ME) Katie quote

1964 Pontiac Grand Pre; my grandpa’s pride and joy and I definitely know why. That car never leaves that garage, but when it does it’s like you’ve went back to the 1960’s. It’s like entering a whole new world. When he starts her up, the sound automatically just sends a relaxing wave over me. The smell of the leather interior still smells the same every time I get in it; such a potent yet comforting aroma. We pull out of the drive and the fun begins. The old time radio flickers on and the static fills the air around us. The music plays faintly in the background while we talk quietly and giggle amongst ourselves. The looks we get light up my grandpa’s eyes because when they mumble under their breath he knows exactly what their saying; beautiful. We roll down the windows and the air blows my hair around and takes the “old car smell” away, but replaces it with the new smell of the fields around us. My grandpa turns around and looks at me and then shifts gears. We push 120 and my sister and I start to giggle uncontrollably. I lay my head back and listen to soft music while the wind blows past me vigorously. A smile wipes across my face and all my stress just melts away. It seems as though the wind just pushes all the bad thoughts and worries right through me and the seats just absorb them. This kind of happiness just seems so rare, like something I’ve never felt before. It’s like I can just breath and take a step back, but as soon as we pull into the driveway I have to take a step into reality once again and refocus on all the things I need to remember. The radio clicks off and I lift my head up. My eyes open slowly and I come to the realization that I have to leave this beautiful dream. My mom gets out and pulls up the seat. I step out slowly and listen for the click of the door when it shuts. I pat her on the hood gently and smile slightly. I sigh and take a step towards the reality I left such a short time ago. I close my eyes and smile; dreaming about the next chance I’ll get in that car.

True story. I adore this car with everything I have. It's absolutly beautiful.