Bittersweet | Teen Ink

Bittersweet

By 284miles PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
284miles PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged. -Deuteronomy 31:8

Holidays are the worst. I give him a call or we chat on Skype. “Happy anniversary!” or “Happy Valentine’s Day!” we tell each other, but it’s more bittersweet than happy, and we both know it. Silence where a hug would be, sighs where a kiss would go. “I miss you.” To break the longing, I thank him for the flowers he sent through the Internet, and he says he got my letter in the mail. It’s just another day without him here.
In a couple weeks I’ll get to see him for a couple days. You’d think I’d be happy – and I am – but seeing him is always bittersweet. I say hello and I’m already thinking about saying goodbye. I try to treasure every minute, extend every moment, remember the emptiness of the months without him, but the last kiss inevitably comes too soon every time with tears I swore wouldn’t leave my eyes.
Not to say it isn’t worth it. I would go months without seeing him just to spend a weekend together – and I have. But we haven’t even been through a year of this yet. I won’t even let myself think about how much more time we will spend missing each other. Instead, I focus on the next time I’ll see him and try to forget the goodbye that comes with it.