My Future | Teen Ink

My Future

I used to not think about my future. But now, not much time is left; I only have 6 years to plan before my graduation. I`m 14 years old, and these days I’ve started to think about what I want to be. However, I still can`t decide on a career. I don`t think there is anything that I am good at or interested in. And it`s also really stressful to think about people competing with each other to get into good universities. It didn’t used to be as harsh as it is now. It`s getting worse every year. Maybe it might be really terrible in terms of competitiveas when I grow up.

When I was young, I wanted to become a great celebrity. Now, since I know that the competition is so harsh, I`m not so confident about it. It feels like my confidence is decreasing as the competition gets harsher. However, I am not hopeless. I am interested in playing video games. Maybe I can do something related to that! My mom tells me to do stuff that I really like. That`s the key to success. That`s why I always make my oral presentations about jobs. And I actually thought about majoring in computer programming. And I started to research the internet about it. Oh my god! The people on the internet are telling me that it requires a lot of high math, and science skills. I`m not good at either of those.

Nothing is easy in this world. Nothing is easy. Just about 5,000 years ago, we just had to eat, sleep, and laugh. It was that easy. And these days, it’s unbelievable. I wonder why everything is getting so complicated. It`s a good thing that we are learning something but isn`t this too much for us? Or am I just a little boy who just sits around at home playing video games and start complaining easily? Yeah, that is possible. Maybe I`m just too lazy when it comes to working. My mom once told me about that too. My mirror is located right next to my video games, and when I sometimes look at myself in the mirror, it`s so silly. I am ashamed. I`m probably doing something wrong. It is so irritating to see myself playing video games getting reflected in that mirror. I can see not only my self playing video games, but also my future. When I look at the mirror, I can see my future. What kind of person I would become, and how awful it is. There is another mirror next to my desk. That’s where I study. When I see myself in that mirror, I kind of got a different feeling. This is a completely different guy from the mirror next to my video games. That guy looked pretty bad. However, this guy looked pretty cool. And that’s what I am looking for.

It`s good to find out that I am doing something wrong. It is a good sign. This might sound strange for you guys. As I work, work, and work, the guy in the mirror changes over time. That mirror .... it's really special for me. I'm never gonna get rid of that mirror. When I grow up and comeback home, the guy in the mirror will be greeting me with a smile.

I always think about this when I play video games. So I just wanted to write about it.

swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois

"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

I love the passion that is put into this article. I am also 14 and i want to be an olympic athelete every time i think about how hard it is i remind my self that obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal and also if you believe you can achieve