The Deadweight of Society | Teen Ink

The Deadweight of Society

By Snikerdoodle PLATINUM, Leander, Texas
Snikerdoodle PLATINUM, Leander, Texas

Why is it, that so many people nowadays, seem only able to focus on the hardships or trials of their lives? For the longest time, I have heard countless times, over and over. people’s stories of heartbreak, tragedy, and pain. It leaves me wondering if the world truly is a dark, unhappy place.
Suffering and depression seem to clog even something as simple as this internet page.
Why do we only focus on the bad stuff?
I think it’s because we can throw out tragic stories, in hopes of sympathy or even pity, and not have people deliberately challenging us. Don’t get me wrong, I respect those who have gone through hard trials, I have had my fair share, and I believe there’s a value in sharing specific ones with people. To try and inspire them inside.
But sometimes it seems like people are bent on making excuses for why their life isn’t as good as the next persons.
In my life, nothing has ever gone as planned. I literally label it as chaotic. I have had horrible depression, and other health and relationship problems, but to be honest, they didn’t just fix themselves.
One of the things I feel most strongly about is depression. Because it is singly, the most selfish thing in the world. I can say that because I went through it, tried to take my life cause of it.
Depression is so gripping and choking because you are only thinking about yourself. Why can’t my life be better? Why can’t I have what they have? Why does no one like or understand me?
When I was depressed, I didn’t even know what I wanted to dream about. That’s how confusing and controlling depression is. It can twist everything you know and turn it against you.

I want to know how you’re making a change in other people’s lives. How you’re blessing the community and the world. You may think one person isn’t enough to change the world, but how many people in history changed the world by starting out on their own?
You want to know the reason I’m not depressed anymore?
One day, after a large fight with my dad, I was cleaning the kitchen and thought about taking the knife in the drawer and just gutting myself.
Then I realized there would be absolutely NO point. None. What a waste of thought and time.
It was literally that simple.
As soon as I threw the depression off of my laboring back, my whole world cleared and grew lighter. I realized my dreams and desires, the biggest which is to inspire the world to think of others first.
I have read so many quotes and thoughts on this website that I enjoy, amongst countless other pictures and papers. It is truly amazing to see the teenage world have such a voice, when for the longest time, I was sure it was silent.
I think it’s time we threw off the labels people put on us, and surprised everyone by showing them who we really are. Diversity makes things interesting in my point of view.
There are many things I dislike in this world, discrimination, corruption, and ego to name only a few.
But finally, for the first time in my life, I’m beginning to see the huge amount of good out there as well.
Now my philosophy is, to live each day like there is no tomorrow. To dream as if you are dying. To love the world, with all its lessons and trials. And to never forget what really matters in life.

The simplest things in life, can bring us the most happiness.