My First Crush | Teen Ink

My First Crush

By rawwrseanne BRONZE, Union City, California
rawwrseanne BRONZE, Union City, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"You can give all your love, but sometimes it won't be enough." - Baby (Acoustic Version) By Justin Bieber

Have you ever experienced love? Not love as in how much you love your family, or how much you love that $100 pair of jeans that doesn't make your butt look too big. Love as in when you get those warm fuzzy feelings whenever you're around that special someone. Well, that's a crush! A crush is one of the most funnest part about being in love, but the greatest crush of them all is your very first crush. Your first crush will always be the most magical and confusing one of all. Trust me, my first crush isn't your typical love story.

My first crush was in third grade, and his name was A.J. It wasn't love at first sight. In my point of view, when I first met A.J., I thought he was the most evil kid who was in my class. I know you're thinking that it was incredibly rude of me to think of him in such a negative way right off the bat, but I was like eight years old! I thought boys were “icky”. The reason I hated A.J. the moment I met him, is that he had tattletale on me! This is what happened. During recess, I was hiding under the slide. I was playing hide and seek with my best friend Sharon, and I was waiting for her to come find me. Then A.J. came up to me and started talking to me. Right in the middle of our conversation, the bell had rang. As we were walking out of the play box, I asked A.J. if he wanted to walk to the classroom together, but at that moment, I didn't know that his name was A.J. So instead of calling him A.J., I called him Aris and said, “Do you wanna walk to the classroom together Aris?” Then automatically he had this socked, but at the same time mad face on. “Oooo! My name's A.J. and I'm telling Aris that you call me Aris!” said A.J. Then he ran off to the classroom. From that moment on, I knew wouldn't like A.J. So then A.J. and I would pick on each other every moment we could.

I never really stopped to think if A.J. actually like me as a friend or not, because I wasn't really friends with guys. The day before we had our winter break, our classroom had a Christmas pajama party. It was really fun, we had hot chocolate, watched movies, ate a bunch of cookies, and basically just had a day to hang out. I don't really remember a whole lot of what happened that day, but there was a really special moment that happened. The real Aris, A.J., Sharon and I sat at the reading table in the corner behind the bookshelves. We decided to tell secrets. When it was A.J.'s turn, he told us something that I never expected him to say. He said, “I have a crush on you Roseanne.” I was completely shocked. My face was blushing, my heart was pounding, I just felt completely awkward. It wasn't the first time a boy told me that he liked me, but when he told me that he liked me, I just blanked out. Eventually I got used it the idea of him liking me. A.J. and I stopped pick on each other, but A.J. would always be around me. He'd always ask me what I'd want, if I need anything, and if he could do anything for me. Simply, he turned into a servant for me. It was weird, but I guess it was from him liking me.

The school year was passing by really fast and it was almost the end of the school year, and A.J. still had a crush on me. Then, I started to think to myself, do I like him back? Since I was only about nine, I didn't know about all those signs that tells you if you're in love Even though I didn't know about that, something in me realized that I did like him back. So I officially had a crush on A.J. I actually didn't tell anyone that I had a crush on A.J. Since A.J. was honest about having a crush on me, I want to tell him that I had a crush on him, but I didn't know when and how to tell him. So I decided not to tell him. Days had passed by really fast and it was a week until the the last day of school. I knew that I'd regret not telling A.J. that I liked him soon, but since I let time pass by so fast I didn't know if A.J. had a crush on me anymore, so I just chose to not tell him. On the last day of school, five minutes before the bell rang, our teacher gave us a speech about how we shouldn't worry about not seeing each other for about three months because we'd all see each other again next school year. We all smiled, except A.J. I asked A.J. why he was sad, it turned out that A.J. was moving to another town in the summer. Since I probably wasn't going to see A.J. anymore, I decided that I should tell him how I felt. I pulled him to the reading table where he told me he had a crush on me. I quietly said, “ A.J., I want to let you know that I...” Then the bell rang and school was over. A.J. said, “Sorry Roseanne, I can't stay, I have to go. Goodbye.” Then he got up, took his backpack, and left. That was the last time I ever saw A.J.

Love is a precious thing that we should treasure, and most importantly, we should treasure our first crush. We should also never take advantage of who we love, because in a blink of an eye, they can slip away. That was my story of my first crush. As you can see, I didn't get that happy ending. I was too shy about confessing my true feelings, that is why I give this token of advice to those who have never experienced love, think they're in love, or are truly in love. Whether they are your first crush, or not, don't be afraid to take a risk, make that move. Because eventually, if you don't, you'll regret it. So with that piece of advice, I am going to do something I should have done 4 years ago.

A.J. I want to let you know that, I have a crush on you.
To this day, after four years, I still do,
and I wanted to let you know, no matter what,
you'll always have that special place in my heart, as my...

first crush

In English we were assigned to write a personal essay, and I chose to write this story. I felt that this was something that everyone should see, because everyone can relate to what I experienced.

So touching

Tira said...
I loved your story very well written. Great job!!!!