On Death and Dying | Teen Ink

On Death and Dying

By alh__ BRONZE, Newport News, Virginia
alh__ BRONZE, Newport News, Virginia

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.

I just finished re-reading The Deathly Hallows and when I got to the part where Harry asks if dying hurts, I paused. It kind of got my mind wandering, to …you know, beyond. “on” as dumbledore called it. It scares me, really, because even though I’m not religious I’d still like to believe that life doesn’t just END. But then again, what would there be if it didn’t? What would be waiting for you as soon as you parted with the world?

I don’t know about you, but I’m a little skeptical when it comes to talk about souls and whatnot. I suppose it’s my logical mind speaking, but I just can’t see it, as much as I’d really really like to, deep down. Don’t get me wrong, though, I’d still like to think that there’s some ethereal all-knowing being looking out for mankind, and I really don’t think the world was created by chance.

I guess what I’m getting at is that believing wholeheartedly in something can be kind of hard when youre a curious seventeen year old high school student who doesn’t know a thing about the world she lives in.