Size Doesn't Matter | Teen Ink

Size Doesn't Matter

By Bballgrrl SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
Bballgrrl SILVER, Loveland, Ohio

Success is not measured by what you accomplished but the oppostion you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds. 
-Orison Swett Marden

'No. You're too small.' 'Let me get that, I can reach it.' 'People are going to run you over!' These are things I've heard my whole life. I'm just a tiny bit over 5 foot and I'm 14. This is unusual. I am a total sport person, but I've quit many sports because of my height. 
When I was 6 or 7, I played soccer. I was a really good goalie. But I only played two years. Because after my second year, girls were kicking the ball over my head. I couldn't reach it. 
I was a cheerleader for a year. I hated it, but I was so small, I couldn't do all the kicks and everything that long arms and legs come in handy for. The same happened with gymnastics. I could do the bar stuff because I'm strong and weigh so little, but not the beam and floor routines. 
I still play basketball, but I'm always overpowered by the taller girls. I can shoot, if nobody is right in front of me. It is normally slammed right back down. I didn't get to play much on my middle school team because of this. 
So what can I play? I love sports...so I had to find something I was good at. I tried individual sports. This helped! I run, play tennis, and swim. I'm pretty good at all three. So here's the lesson. Don't let people put you down because of something you have no control over. Find a way to prove them wrong. 

I think everybody has been discouraged before. Just because one thing you want doesn't turn out, fight it out and find something else. There is something for everyone. Be courageous.

Hi casey!! I love that you are so open to trying new things! This really spoke to me too because I am always the short one too..only 5 foot, but I keep an open mind, because I am pretty good at dodgeball, that was my strength for sports, and that was that. But now I find more strength in writing and as a writer and your best friend, I applaud you bestie! I hope I can post something as personal as this soon.

Love Emily! (:

P.S. I never knew you played soccer! Ah, maybe you told me that in the first grade! Love you.