A Night for Firsts | Teen Ink

A Night for Firsts

August 28, 2010
By OscarW. DIAMOND, Clarksville, Arkansas
OscarW. DIAMOND, Clarksville, Arkansas
95 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds ways to kneel and kiss the ground." - Rumi


The slight coat of perspiration resting on my brow was swept away by the cool, evening breeze as our feet smacked against the still-warm pavement. We made our way toward the main gate hand in hand, which smelled suspiciously of fried pickles and sweat. As we stepped past the friendly enough gatekeeper, our faces lit up with the excitement of all the flashing lights, blaring music, and carnival food, some of which was being dispensed by other, less fortunate fair-goers. It was my first time ever to attend the county fair, and just the sight of all the gut-wrenching rides sent a tingle of anticipation along my spine.

I tightened my grip on her hand as we made our rounds, stopping along the way to idly chat with friends as we made on with our trek to every wonder withheld by the park. Everything from being tossed and turned and flipped upside down and all around by the zipper to the relaxing canter of the carousel. Pressing together in the dark of the haunted house as we held each other tight and being slammed together by the relentlessly violent twisting of the merciless scrambler. But as the night wore on, it grew nearer and nearer to the time of our inevitable departure. Luckily, our last venture of the night was my favorite of all---the ferris wheel.

The man running the contraption was the spitting image of the perfect ferris wheel operator. Sarcastic and long-faced with tired, drooping eyes that were tinged with the faint outline of sagging, purple circles. As he secured us to the seat, I pulled her close, wrapping my arm around her shoulders as we began our precarious journey into the nighttime sky. Around and around we went, taking in the magic of the night; everything seems so surreal when you're suspended forty-six feet in the air. Eventually, the ride began to slow as passengers disembarked and other ferris wheel enthusiasts took their place. Slowly but surly, our seat climbed its way to the very top of the world. We caught our breath as we took in the shimmering sea of lights as they rippled across the ground below. The feeling was magical as we sat there among the stars themselves for an invariable amount of time. If this is what holding eternity in your arms felt like, I never wanted to let go. But as the ride surreptitiously began to descend, we realized that our time together was nearing its end. Without skipping a beat, I turned her face towards my own as we pressed our lips together in the heat of the moment. Warmth flooded my face as our lips lingered a few seconds longer. Her lips were hot, cheeks flushed a rosy red, and without warning I gently kissed her once more before we made our way to the bottom and the operater released us from our harness.

As we made our way back to the gate, I took her hand in mine once again. That night was, very literally, a dream come true. And as we embraced and said our goobyes, the magic of the night was hard to believe. But I couldn't help but think: "Man, what a night for firsts. Truly, how lucky am I?"