Bricks | Teen Ink

Bricks

By starxoxo23 PLATINUM, New Hampshire, New Hampshire
starxoxo23 PLATINUM, New Hampshire, New Hampshire

"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
- Alan Alda

Buildings made of cracked, faded bricks, threatening to collapse, line the street. On the filthy cement are a plethora of cigarette butts and candy wrappers and broken beer bottles. Water the color of molded caramels floods the streets, streaking down the slight decline of the street into the manhole that lies at its base. Soft raindrops caress my face, silky as a blanket of fleece and burning cold like an ice cube straight from the freezer. I close my eyes and imagine that the raindrops are the tears I've yearned for. I stumble over something and I brace myself on the brick wall of the building closest to me but the brick slips out into my hand, defying the glue that once held it in place, unyielding. And then I am falling, tripping, falling into the dark mist with a brick in my hand holding me down; I can't let go of the brick but I'm still falling, and I know it's the weight I'm clutching that keeps me from resurfacing. But I don't want to let go, can't let go. It's all I have that's given itself to me and I need to keep it, forever.
Maybe the tears are real or maybe it's really raining. Maybe I'm really alive or maybe I'm just a ghost of a girl who never actually existed. Maybe no one will care when I'm gone.
I walk home and I'm hugging the brick to my chest like it's all I have. It's stupid, but I sleep with the brick underneath my pillow and I pray before I go to sleep every night; I pray that the brick will shelter me, protect me. I pray that I will survive. I pray for myself, not for world peace or family or ultra-fake friends - I am utterly selfish with my prayers. But maybe that's what we all need. Maybe selfishness is all that will save the human race. Perhaps it really is every man for himself.

Meli14 BRONZE said...
Meli14 BRONZE, Othello, Washington

"god is love, and love is real"

haha loveeed it this is amazing please rate mine.

apocalyptigirl BRONZE, Staunton, Virginia

"DON'T PANIC." ~from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Is the brick a metaphor for something? Or something real as well as a metaphor? This is a fairly complex little piece...