Second Chances | Teen Ink

Second Chances

January 25, 2011
By KelseyLei GOLD, Seffner, Florida
KelseyLei GOLD, Seffner, Florida
19 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition!"- Marilyn Monroe


In life we make mistakes, we earn forgiveness. We forgive others. But that's not always the case now is it? You break your moms favorite lamp because you were playing ball in the house. She forgives you and you now have a second chance to prove yourself to mom. Now what if you did something to test life's limits? Do you still get a second chance? Well do you deserve one? Drunk driving is an unforgivable mistake in my eyes, I think you should be punished for the rest of your life. What don't people understand when they say "I'm okay to drive" "I didn't have that many." or "What's the worst that could happen?" Well people lets use our common sense here! Alcohol effects your system the minute it gets in your system! It takes hours to wear off! It doesn't matter how many beers or whatever you are drinking! DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! It is not worth it to kill yourself or someone else! Would you be able to look someone Else's family in the eyes and say I'm sorry I killed your mother, father, brother, sister, cousin, or best friend? Oh they'll forgive me, is that what you really think? I can honestly say 99.9% of the time they won't. Some people are lucky enough to walk away from a drunk driving accident while most aren't!
Sixteen years ago when i was one month old my dad and his best friend, my godfather, were in a terrible accident. They were both drunk and were also hit by a drunk driver. The shattered glass sparkling like stars, the metal frame crunched together in an unforgettable manner, and the blood staining the interior of the tiny car. These pictures haunt my mind every time I get behind the wheel of my own car! My dad's nose was just barely attached to his face. He was unbelievably beat up! He had the misfortune of going through the windshield on the driver's side even though he was the passenger. This story haunts my memory all the time! My dad and his best friend had been out drinking and instead of calling my mother like they normally did they decided to drive. I don't know why? Its never okay to drink and drive no matter how much you've had to drink! But regardless my godfather got behind the wheel with my father as his passenger to death. Fortunately, even with the severity of the accident they are both her today in my life looking after me making sure I make the right decisions! Now don't go thinking everybody is that lucky though!
I was in third grade when my second cousin David Holiday was in an accident resulting from drunk driving. He was at a party and thought he had sobered up. So seven A.M. he was driving home. He was also speeding and crashed into a pole and died on impact. Now his mother and our whole family live with grief because he made a terrible decision!
Overall people get second chances, you may not always be that lucky though. Please don't make the mistake and take someone away from this world because you are foolish! Always make the call to someone that cares, they will come get you! Drunk driving is not worth it and never will be!