Teacher's Advice | Teen Ink

Teacher's Advice

By TabbiJane PLATINUM, Rockwood, Michigan
TabbiJane PLATINUM, Rockwood, Michigan

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

--Albus Dumbledore

“I got there just as it had happened…”

He paused, looking at the students. Silence hung a heavy curtain around the classroom walls. The usually talkative sophomores were intently listening to their teacher’s words. He continued.

“I was driving to work one morning. The highway was two-way with a large bit of grass in between the lanes. No one else was on the road from what I could see, but as I made a slight turn, a car came into view. It was flipped over in-between the two lanes…and sticking out from beneath it was a pair of legs.

“I pulled over and called 9-1-1. Soon, other cars were stopping and several other men and I were able to lift the car off of her. The paramedics arrived and they did all they could, but she died moments later…I stood there and watched as they covered her face with a sheet.

“I get it guys,” he said to everyone. “It’s great to be 16 and to finally get your license. To get this new found freedom. I was 16 once and it’s a good feeling to know that you don’t have to depend on your parents to get you somewhere.

“But at the same time, you need to realize that the moment you get into a car, you could be inches away from death. People your age die in car accidents every day.”

“Like your cousin...” Someone in the front said quietly.

“…Exactly...He was 17 and hit by another person…” He sat silently for a moment, eyes on the carpeted floor. “…I saw an article in the paper about it a few days later.

“…She was 32 and had three children…”

In my history class a few weeks ago, someone was really excited because she'd be turning 16 in July and getting her license. A conversation just sort of branched out from there...