Sweet Hymns of Joy | Teen Ink

Sweet Hymns of Joy

By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

When David Archuleta’s Christmas From The Heart came out, I remember listening to the full CD, taking in each new melody he contributed his amazing voice to. I would listen to the CD over and over, and often times I would skip over an important song, David’s favorite: “O Holy Night”. I liked it, but it wasn’t my favorite. As amazing as his voice was, it was slow and to be honest, bored me compared to the rest of the songs. But that all changed when I heard the song live.

I was at David’s Christmas concert in Boston on a late December night, ecstatic to see David sing his Christmas songs live. Surrounded by all of his other fans, amongst the flickering of cameras and glimmering of glow sticks. David had just finished his last song, and had left the stage. Now, if you’re a die hard fan, you’d know that the show wasn’t over just yet. Minutes later, came walking back onto the stage, ready to sing his encore of “O Holy Night”. Despite my unenthusiastic perception of the song, of course I would jump at the chance to see David sing anything.

As I stood there watching him introduce the song as the music began, I couldn’t help but become intrigued. Suddenly, he started singing, his voice soaring through the concert hall as he sang each note beautifully. I couldn’t help but get teary-eyed when he sang he long, final note as the song came to an end. For the rest of the night, that was the song that was stuck in my head, making the night simply magical. It had touched my heart, making that night unforgettable, as that is the song that sticks out the most from that night.

Till this day, whenever I hear the beautiful intro to David’s “O Holy Night”, it takes me right back to that moment in Boston. I see and hear him in my mind as I feel the same thing I felt that night. It was almost an unexplainable feeling. You could see David’s connection and David’s pure love for the song, as well as the feeling of complete peace throughout the audience as he delivered the song, along with that hint of Christmas joy that was apparent throughout the night. Everyone in that room was feeling the same thing as David astoundingly sang those beautiful lyrics, accompanied by the orchestra. It was truly a moment to remember.

I loved "O Holy Night" that night. I'll never forget it.

Amazing article! Glad you got to see David live, in concert! Its an amazing beyond believe experience :)